Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Air bags deployed

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by teamtaz3, May 30, 2009.

1. teamtaz3

teamtaz3 New Member

Hi All

My daughter rear ended another truck yesterday and deployed the air bags. She has a 2004 Colorado Z71. Hardly any body damage but we are hearing nightmare stories about air bag replacement.

She did not have any Collision insurance so she will have to pay for repairs. Any light you can shed on this subject would be great.

Thanks

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I hope she is alright! I too have heard that replacement bags are very expensive, good luck!

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The problem you are going to have is actually finding a cheap used air bag, most junk yards inplode them for there safety as well. Most people when you ask them how to change an air-bag they won't tell you, mostly because it isn't just a plug-n-play swap. You definately need a steering wheel puller, and a few other choice tools that are specific for your application. Good luck on finding an air bag, best place is to check swap meets because that's the only place that I have ever seen one for sale. They are still like $200 just for the bag, and you have to make sure that the pig tail coming off the back is not damaged.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB! :party:

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can get an air bag Click Here

Once you get the new airbag find a GM tech to install it for you. Put an ad on Craig's List and you will find a guy. Make sure to have him check all your crash sensors for damage. Good Luck

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I see air bags all the time on ebay-$100 or so.
    I have trouble believing that a junk yard would junk something that they can get $100 for-especially something small and easy to store.

Just check ebay, or an online used part locating site.

Luck, Charlie

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have had two airbags go off on me. Not a fun experience. Smoky, stinky, and friction burns on your face. I hope your daughter is OK.

My first time was when a fellow coming the other way lost his tire and rim off his pickup. It was night, and never saw the tire coming at me. Next thing I know I'm doing 55 with the hood up and cabin full of smoke from the airbag. Not fun. Second time wasn't quite as traumatic. In town traffic, following too close, guy stopped short to let someone cross the street. Bent the frame both times and totaled the cars.