Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Air bags help for towing - best Chevy options?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Jaele, May 24, 2013.

1. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

So I am in the market for for air bags to help with towing. I've been looking around and I like Air Life Ride control, and Total Load control.

What do you guys use and what do you think about them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Jeremy09LTZCrew won a Total Load Control system in last year's spring contest. Unfortunately he was deployed in Afghanistan at the time (and probably still isn't back, as he's been on/off the radar screen only sporadically in the last year), so we never got to hear about it. :(

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I used to be a huge fan of air bags for tow applications until Surrealone recommended RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension), since then Ive used it on my Silverado, Tacoma, and one ton Chevy dually tow vehical.
    The Dually originally had bags that were deteriorating and needing replacment, it was cheaper to replace than repair and the truck does a much better job towing now.

4. SurrealOne

I didn't point out RAS because [MENTION=51708]Jaele[/MENTION] seemed rather intent on air bags and I know better than to try to change someone's mind once it's made up. However, since it's been mentioned, Jaele, be advised that there's a review I posted, here, pertaining to RAS. It also mentions a discount and how to get it. I do not know if this far out from the review if they will still honour it (it's been a good while), but if you're willing to entertain a mechanical system you should search for the review and give it some consideration ... and if you elect to pursue RAS as a solution give them a call per the data in the review.

5. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] for the info. I'm not set on one particular system yet. Ive recently purchased a new and larger trailer and I don't like how the truck sags a little in the rear so I am looking at correcting the problem.

6. steved

steved Former Member

I ran Firestone Ride-Rites on my Dodge for well over 200k miles...they performed well. One thing to remember about airbags is that they will tend to cause a "pogo" effect if you are loaded really heavy and have a lot of air in the bags.

7. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

8. SurrealOne

Sounds like you need to photo-shoot the install and write-up something. :glasses:

9. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

It will come.

So far I'm in love with the company, shot them an email this morning trying to figure out a way to get it before Thursday afternoon so I could use it this weekend. They sent me an email with a number to call. So I called and they said they could meet me half way(driving) they are located about 3.5hr from me. With that said I will be picking it up tomorrow after work and a 1.5hr drive to meet them in Lodi CA.

Still cannot believe they are going to meet me half way, I personally have never had a company go that far to help me out.

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor