1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air Bags / Helper springs .... anyone [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

One of the next upgrades on my short list is the rear suspension, I just put new Edelbrock IAS shocks on but I frequently tow "gently" ;-) over the weight limit for my truck. Ok more frequently than gently. But anyway I have been considering helper springs or airbags, the airbags have obviously the most "cool factor points" and seem to be function and fairly cheap.

Anybody tried either? I don't want the truck to bounce up and down or dance or anything but I would like to level out my plane with the big trailer on it.
  2. 3com

3com Member

what the hell are you hauling? i haul a four horse stock trailer and it hauls just right with the trailer empty, put some air in the air shocks and she rides perfect loaded.
  3. MN_Burbon

28 foot flat bed with a new holland ls170 turbo on it ;-) with the bucket and some accessories.
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

yep! That's a bit over the manufacturer's limit.
  5. MN_Burbon

In all honesty my suburban pulls it all like a trooper. I have been pulling this rig, and my boat and my other toy cars with this truck since the day I got it in 1998 and 100k miles later it still pulls great. I am adding an electric brake this weekend (long overdue) and will be doing something with the rear end shortly. But I am still on the same drivetrain with no problems. That is in my opinion one of the reasons we all love the suburbans so much.
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No doubt about it the Suburban definately lives up to it's promise as a workhorse. At 200k we took our trip to pick up our new horse trailer, and get a puppy while we were in the area 2 states over. Total trip 1700 miles, the only problem we had was through the mountains in North Carolina to Tennesee the truck had a little trouble towing up those steep inclines. Turned out to be a worn distributor shaft. once replaced the engine ran as good as new!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.