Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

air bags off-road

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Oct 24, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

i need something to lift the rear of my truck when i load it up!!
    the weight distribution and front end alignment goes to hell when the rear comes down almost 4"

i was wondering if anyone has installed these
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/59518-air-springs.html
    on their truck and still hits trails with it

important note, the K15 Blazer unlike the suburban or pickup truck does NOT have a rear sway bar, the axle can actually articulate quite a bit....
    i guess i COULD install limit straps, but i dont want to...
    i just want something to help carry a crammed vehicle. not lift it, or firm up the springs, or damage the alignment which makes me burn through tires faster.

so.... thoughts?
    theyre $50 off right now through air lift so... i kinda want to buy them unless i hear otherwise

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've known a lot of guys who never complained about putting some type of air bag system in their truck.

3. Same here.

4. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

it cant be too bad of an idea, caddys have used air shocks for years! Go to the junk yard and get the system off an old caddy! Use the air pump with the auto leveler, and hook it to the airbags! But I'm thinking your gonna lose some articulation if the bags attach to the frame and the springs! Too much droop might tear the bags?????

5. K15 Blazer Guy

Precisly. Im worried I could rip a bag with big axle flex... remember, no factory sway bar in the rear. .. would bolt on helper springs be a better idea?

6. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I'm thinking "yes" to the helper springs, if you really do the off road stuff! But that's just me! I like big flex!

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

look into a roadmaster system, IIRC they only bolt to the leaf packs, and not the frame.

Alex

8. K15 Blazer Guy

i did the helper spings
    taa-daaaa 20131110_114056.jpg

worked out pretty good, BUT, one of the leafs on the passenger side is split completely in 2 where the center bolt goes through......

so i clamped the thing down extra tight and am looking for a replacement stock leaf spring pack X(
    but over all... i am happy with the add-a-leafs
    the suspension feels beefy now =)

9. PACNWDude

PACNWDude New Member

I might need to do the add a leaf to my 1987 Suburban too. I use air shocks and keep them aired up a bit, but I add a couple of hundred pounds to the very rear when I go off road too. Nice picture.