1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air Bags or Helper Springs?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Mike S., Jul 16, 2010.

1. Mike S.

Mike S. New Member

OK all you towing veterans! I have a 99 tahoe the likes to squat when hitched, so I think I need to help the rear suspension a bit. My question is which route to go, air bags or helper springs/add a leaf. Like to know which is better and co$t of hardware. Also maybe who does installs since I'm not much of a gear head. Looking forward to hearing from all you GM experts!! Thanks, Mike
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Me id go with Air Bags for the fact that when you arent loaded they will ride just as nice.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2.....On Air bags.....Air lift or Firestone are the 2 most often mentioned......

I have Air lift Bags,Compressor and Controls.....I like having the controls in the cab,as I can adjust the bags for the road Conditions.....went towing my boat!!...

As far as installing them,is not that hard.....for me adding the air bags to help with Towing has been one of the Best Mods I've done to my truck......

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Air bags hands down, they retain the ride quality, can be adjusted to the hauling weight for each individual load, and depending on the kit you buy are an easy driveway install.
  5. Mike S.

Mike S. New Member

air lift

Thinking about maybe going with the Air Lift bags, cheaper than Firestone and seem to be popular. Not so sure about drilling into my frame, though. Other than that the install doesn't seem too bad. What do you think of Air Lift?
  6. Nick Keck

Nick Keck New Member

Airlift is a great company, they are about 3 miles from my home. Many of my friends work for them and they do great work. There quality and customer service is hands down one of the best. If you have any issues there technicians are always willing to walk you through step by step.
  7. Mike S.

Mike S. New Member

8. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

my 06 used to sag in the rear alot when i had a trailor hooked up. i put 3/4 ton rear springs in it and now anything i hook up to, the rear end doesn't move at all. but on the other hand my brothers 95 would damn near drag the ground with his mud truck hooked to it and he added the air bags and loves them. it all depends on what you want and how you want to do it i guess. i'm not sure what he paid for his setup but i got the rear spring packs complete for free from a friend and took about an hour installing them
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well Mike i dont have any experience in this area.. Please let us all know what you do come up with since i need a set for my truck as well.