Air bags

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by lsutoms, Nov 30, 2009.

1. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

i am looking into putting air bags on the rear of my truck.. does anyone have these on their truck? or know anything about a better brand or model? ive driven for about 6 months and a coupld of times ive had it loaded down so much my bumber and rear hitch is almost rubbing the ground... my stock tires have bubbled out of the sides because of too much of a load but i just bought some 285/70's so i shouldnt have that problem... i just want to be able to sit my truck back up high when i have a heavey load on..
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

I have Air Lift Air Bags and I Love them.I all so have the on board Compressor & Controls in the Cab.It a Great setup.I like having the controls in the cab,so I can adjust the bags up or down depending on the load.
  3. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

would you happen to have any pics of your bags, switches inside, and your tank/compressor? id love to see them!

i already have a 5 gallon tank with a viar 480 series 100% duty compressor that im running a train horn too! all i would need is the switches and bags!
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

Here is a picture of the Controls on my truck,
    [​IMG]
  6. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

thanks! do they help a ton? i have honestly never hauled anything probably more that 7,000 or 8,000 lbs but i have had about 2200 in my bed while hauling a trailer.... i dont know much about bags or how they rate them.. do they have tougher one's??

and do they mess with the quality of your ride at all?
  7. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

i notice the gauge but which are the controls? the silver pannel on the bottom side of your radio??
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

The picture does not show it,but to the side of the Gauge is the Controls [Switch].Here is a pic from air lift,showing the Gauge & Controls.the switch is just to the right,its hard to see.
    http://www.airliftcompany.com/quick_shot.html
  9. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

thanks! do they help a ton? i have honestly never hauled anything probably more that 7,000 or 8,000 lbs but i have had about 2200 in my bed while hauling a trailer.... i dont know much about bags or how they rate them.. do they have heavier duty and lighter duty one's??

and do they mess with the quality of your ride at all?
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

Air Lift has 2000lb bags and 5000lb,I have the 2000lb bags.I tow a Boat and boat,motor and trailer around 3500lbs.With that I run about 40 to 45lbs in the bags.With the bags my truck now ride's Better and Handles better,Does Not Bottom out,I will not tow without bags every again.

I would add one more item.I wanted to put on the 5000lb bags.But the shop that put on the bags told me that,I did not need the 5000lb,and that the 2000lb would do the job.The shop was right.2nd he told me that the 5000lb were for 3/4 trucks.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  11. Awesraws5

Awesraws5 New Member

I have an air lift set up on my 2500hd crew cab short box. They came with the truck when i bought it and they are incredibly nice for any added weight from over sized loads that is too much for just stock leaf springs. The only down fall to it is their are 2 seperate air lines, one for each bag that have to be filled with an airchuck at the rear on each side of the license plate. Ideally id like to route them to just inside of the fuel door to clean it up but they are hardly noticeable on the bumper.
  12. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

What do you mean by an air chuck????
  13. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

14. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

Are these bags 2000 lbs a piece or a set? I usually don't haul but about 4000 lbs though so If your doing fine with this I should be also
  15. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

He means with an external compressor like you would do with your tires. He doesnt have the onboard setup.

I have installed and used the 5000lb bags from firestone on a F150. I want to get them for my truck as well. they work great. Here is the firestone link.
    http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/
  16. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

Went you buy,a set of bags.What you are getting is the bags[both side's]the air lines and Mounting hardware.
    Example,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-57216/?image=large
  17. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

I'm guesing that you have the male end o the air chucks feeding straight to your bags? I currently have an onboard air system so I would just run air hose straight from them
  18. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

It will be the set, even though they say dont exceed the payload capacity. So my payload is Just over 3k but the bags will support up to 5k. they are rated more for weight in bed and not necessarily trailer weight. so if you have a 10k trailer it will still level just fine
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  19. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

If you are looking for 2000lb Bags,here is the set you would Buy for your truck .Went I bought my bags I also at the same time had the Compressor & Controls installed at the same time.it would be up to you in you want to add the Compressor & Control's.For me having Compressor & Controls is a Very nice feature,as I can adjust the bags for the road Condition's as I'm driving.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-59539/?image=large
  20. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

have you ever hauled 5k in your bed?? if so did it do fine i have had about 3k plus a trailer and my tires started to bubble out they couldnt handle it and my hitch was almost in the ground lol but i know that a pallet of mulch weighs 6k and i know a boy who hauls that all the time with a ram2500 no problems... i dont know what the weight rating is on my bed hauling weight.. im guessing 1700ish...