Air compressor help

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by lsutoms, Jun 23, 2012.

1. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a viar 380c compressor in my truck. It's hooked up to a 5 gallon tank used to run air horns and also to fill tires etc. the compressor is kicking on but never kicks off because it is not putting any pressure into the tank. The relay is suppose to turn it on at 120 psi and off at 180 psi. Both the compressor and tank are rated for 200 psi. Any ideas what might be wrong? What I could check? It does not sound like it is running at its full capacity at all. I've since pulled the fuse out so it will not run constantly since I'm currently on a 11 hour drive to tennessee

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

When you say it kicks on does it start when you start the truck? If it starts automatically it sounds like the pressure switch has either gone bad or is wired incorrectly. Because it is the pressure switch that is supposed to tell the comp to turn on/off depending on the pressure in the tank. The place I would start to troubleshoot is to check that wiring. Now if it worked before it may be as simple as a wire coming loose or something like that. If that doesn't work than it has to be the switch.

3. lsutoms

It turns on when I turn my truck on and turns off when I turn it off. It's been hooked up for almost 3 years so I know that it is wired right. Are pressure switches expensive?

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If it's not putting any pressure in the tank the compressor itself could be worn and ready for a rebuild.
    Do you have a pressure gauge to tell where the tanks at?

5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's hard to troubleshoot when your not there but I am a technician and I work on air compressors all the time as well as sell new ones. It sounds to me like you need to clean the valves, they are disc valves that act as check valves and they need to be cleaned about once a year. Just be very careful to put them back together correctly. Let me know if this helps or you need any thing else. :glasses:

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My guess is you have a leak somewhere. If your pressure valve was not operating your tank would fill until it reached the max pressure then blow the safety switch. If the compressor runs and never builds pressure you have a leak either in a line or bad valves on the compressor etc...

I have a similar compressor for my train horns and when summer hits that's when you find out if you ran a line to close to something that gets hot..over time it weakens the line and you eventually develop a leak.

7. lsutoms

How exactly do I clean the valves. I have never done this in the 2.5 years I've had it

8. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm not very familiar with your compressor but I believe you have to remove the head to access the valves. They should be stainless steel valves and they claim they do not require service but they do sell a rebuild kit. Call this number for Tech support on your compressor 321-288-1655 Also the part number for the head rebuild kit is RK019 if those people wont talk to you the consumer let me know and I will call them, they will talk to a technician. Let me know how it goes. :glasses: