1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air condition not cycleing on,,

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Rhonda36301, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Rhonda36301

Rhonda36301 New Member

98 GMC,, we put new compressor,, dryer,, office tube ,blew everything out,, and the compressor will not cycle on,, we change the low pressor switch,, on the dryer,,i think that what it is called. with one that we know works from another truck and still won't cycle on. we also put a jumper wire in and compressor comes on and air gets cold and works great,,But when ya plug the switch back in on dryer,,it won't kick compressor on. like i said we replaced the switch on dryer with one we know works and it still will not come on,, any ideas would be a big help,,thanks Rhonda
  2. Rhonda36301

Rhonda36301 New Member

any ideas at all,,thought someone would have a few ,,sigh
  3. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

did you make sure to pull a vaccuum on the system before filling with freon (as well as check to see that it will maintain vaccuum. the compressor wont cycle if the freon is too low or too high.
  5. zippstripp

zippstripp New Member

I would also make sure the low switch can activate the schrader valave in the drier.If it cant push in the switch won't close.
  6. Rhonda36301

Rhonda36301 New Member

yes we vacumed the system down,,,and it heald the vacum for 30 min,, the we filled with 134. we put a jumper wire in to start filling,, usually after first can we take jumper off and and plug it back in to the switch and it will go ahead and cycle,, but this one didn't,, we replaced the switch on dryer with one off our tahoe they are just alike and works fine on the tahoe ,, and it still will not cyce on and off, it is full of 134 and it gets cold and works great with the jumper wire in.. but it must cycle to keep from burning the compressor up..were just at a loss ,,don't know what to do to fix it,,,,thanks Rhonda
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

sorry I couldnt help more. Hopefully someone elso can.
  8. csltrains96

csltrains96 Member

I'm only going from memory on previous discussions about A/C units, but......

Did you check both the high side and low side pressure switches? Fuse for the A/C?

My two cents.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you checked the relay?? A bad relay will cause the compressor not to cycle.
  10. Rhonda36301

Rhonda36301 New Member

Ok Problem solved,,feel like a dummy,, we cleaned the prongs on the switch and spread them out a little,,and now it works like a charm,, thanks for all your ideas,,