1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air Conditioner Erratic Behavior.

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by craigola, Nov 5, 2013.

1. craigola

craigola New Member

Ok, so I have dodged the bullet with my wife on this long enough. So, randomly, when we are supposed to get heat, we get cold air. When we should get air, we get heat. One side will blow heat and the other cold air and then it switches. Then, sometimes it works perfectly fine. When I say I dodged the bullet, I mean all summer, it worked pretty much perfectly.

Generally the solution to the problem is not to turn the unit off and on, but to turn the entire vehicle off and on. If I do that, it usually fixes things up.

So, any ideas what the problem is, and is there a tutorial so a regular ole guy like myself can fix it?

Is it the actuator and if so, is that a relatively easy fix in terms of effort and parts cost?

Thanks!

Craig
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what year is your truck?
  3. craigola

craigola New Member

Sorry. 2004 Tahoe LS V8 2WD
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Usually a faulty actuator will cause a problem that does not change, or go away. For example, always getting heat out of the passenger side, or for example, the air only blows through the floor vents no matter where I place the mode control.

Your description sounds like your getting heat one day and air the next, then it will flip a few days later. That does not sound like one of the actuators.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is the control unit that is mounted in the dash.

Do you have the auto unit (set the temperature), or the manual unit where you slide, or turn temp knobs?
  5. craigola

craigola New Member

I have the auto one.

Thanks!

Craig
  6. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

My truck does this as well so I'm curious what you find out. Mine even when the air/heat is turned off the vents constantly put out some hot air. Also when i turn the a/c on most of the times it takes up to 5 minutes for the air to change from hot to cold.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Any possibility of a buddy having the same truck and that he would let you swap his into yours for a quick test?