1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

air conditioner not working properly 01 silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jaridd, Sep 1, 2009.

1. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

True, the interior thermostat can cause a problem like you suggest. Note, this is only a problem with the trucks that have the automatic HVAC systems, the system where the interior temp can be set.

Sometimes removing and cleaning the little fan will fix the problem.
  2. BuffaloChip

BuffaloChip New Member

I put in three cans and everything started looking lovely. The compressor stayed on for awhile. Gauges showed I needed some more so I let it idle for a while and it eventually it cut off the compressor again. Well when I took the low side cap off it was leaking pretty good. Apparently the schraeder valve has a leak and I must have made it worse. So I have ordered a valve change tool and will do that job later in the week. Until then I used an o-ring under the cap to slow the leak.
    I'll keep yall posted. In the meantime I'll hope that the original leak was actually the low side schraeder valve.

Baton Rouge. And you?

Thanks for the help guys.

BC/TB
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

St. Amant. I'm stationed in Virginia though. Miss it there very bad. Heard there was some real bad weather
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that it is not possible to service those valves, at least on an 04 you could not. Autozone sells an adapter that just screws on over the old port. It has a new valve in it. It is faster and cheaper than replacing the lines.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Now that's good info
  6. rileyjr16

Xs3 what pikey said. That man is a genius
  7. BuffaloChip

BuffaloChip New Member

From St Amant you know about the weather. Recently just a lot of rain but rough weather is a frequent item around here. You in the military?

th

I'll check on that. Got a friend who works at AZ so I get my parts there mostly.
  8. rileyjr16

Yup in the Navy since last September of last year. I was just home in July when we came back from deployment.
  9. BuffaloChip

BuffaloChip New Member

Well I got a schrader valve changer and didn't loose any refrigerant doing the replacement so things are moving along. (AutoZone does not have the screw on adapter any more.)

But I don't get really cool air just medium cool. Anybody know what the high and low side pressures should be on a 85-90 degree day??

It may have leaked out too much 134a to cool properly even on the road.

Thanks
  10. BuffaloChip

BuffaloChip New Member

Hello again - RayVoy, rileyjr16 and Joe Daddy - thanks for your replies here. It all helped.

Just want to update you guys on my progress so far on my Yukon XL AC.

The low side schraeder valve developed a serious leak after I hooked up a gauge and added 134a. It leaked down quite a bit so I bought a Mastertool valve changer and replaced the valve and the leaking stopped. I do not know yet if the valve was the only leak. Waiting to see.

It was fairly straight forward to add more 134a and bring the pressure up to 50/250 and get cooling again. Everything seems to be working OK now and my vent temp gets down to about 39-40.

However it’s the possibility of another leak, maybe the original leak that I am dealing with so I have an eye on the vent temp a lot to see it starts creeping up. It’s just a waiting game now but it is cool again and that’s a blessing.

So now my brakes are squeaking. It’s always something.

Thanks again

Tim B
    aka BuffaloChip