Air Dam removal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bigbomber, May 9, 2010.

1. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I've been thinking of removing the air dam on my truck and would like to know if it will hinder my mpg or the ability to get air to my engine?Anybody here notice a difference in either of these since you have removed your air dam?

2. grrr...

grrr... Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not sure about the Silverado, but I have always removed the plastic under all my cars (lowered) and never noticed any issues. Hope that helps.

Eric

3. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

Pulled mine off the 09 Sierra and everything seems to be the same except I don't have to worry anymore that I'll scrape it off on something. It really wasn't tall enough to divert much air; probably just cosmetic on a big old flat-faced 4x4.

4. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i removed it on my 08 silverado and it never changed mpg. i say you go for it and remove it

5. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

u should be fine, mine has been ripped off plenty of times on my 01 from hitting the mud holes, i went around for almost a month without it and never noticed a differance

6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Thanks guys.Guess i'll take it off today.

7. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Ive never heard of it changing anything unless your driving on alot of dirt roads

8. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

all that thing serves for is to ripple the air and help cool the bottom side of the engine a little better as far as I can tell never really caused a problem for anyone removing it that i have heard. People have been asking this question for years on here and all of them wind up removing it and never have a problem after so i say go for it too.