1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Air Filter, Air Intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Steven Salazar, Aug 2, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Steven Salazar

Steven Salazar New Member

Can someone explain to me what modding your truck with air filter and air intake does?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Modding how?
    Replacing with a cold air kit?
    Putting in a reuseable air filter?
    Opening up the air box for more flow?
    You need to be a little more specific.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

An aftermarket air filter (K&N, Air Raid, Spectre, Volant) in your stock air box (flat filter) will allow more air to pass through the filter and the engine to breathe air in easier resulting in as some claim better MPG and horsepower.

An aftermarket air filter (cone style) with an aftermarket intake box (K&N, Volant, Spectre, Air Raid) will allow even more, a little cooler air to pass through the filter and helps the engine breathe air by having having a larger surface area of the filter and larger area to draw air from in the box; resulting in, well see above last 8 words.

An aftermarket air filter (cone style) with an aftermarket intake box AND aftermarket cold air tube will not only do all that ^^^ but it will draw in even cooler outside air into the engine. The putative principle behind a cold air intake is that cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air. This some also claim, translates to better MPG and even more HP. The cold air tube gives the incoming air more direct flow of the air to the engine instead of the stock intake.

The results will not be necksnapping. Maybe in the neighborhood of 5-10HP gain and maybe 1-2 more MPG. With my intake, I just have the aftermarket box and aftermarket cone air filter with my stock tube gutted of anything that may restrict the flow. After I installed it (1.5 hours at most) I noticed that my truck (99 5.3) ran a little bit quicker 0-60MPH. With the intake, I got an awesome sounding whistle from the engine sucking air through the filter.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The pictures I have included are the different types:

The stock filter replacement (K&N)

12345.jpg

This is like the one I have except I don't have that shiny metal tube (Spectre). I have my stock tube hooked up. for now. I picked up my kit from Ebay for $50 but can't seem to find it anymore. HOWEVER my brother had one, took it off his truck and may have it sitting around.
    123456.jpg

This is the Volant stlye intake. IMO, its the best one because it completely isolates the cooler outside air from the warmer underhood air with the cover on top
    1234567.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is the only difference most people notice. MPG gains are rarely human-noticeable and when they are it's often observer error driven by lack of hard empirical evidence taken both before and after the adjustment (and failure to eliminate things like summer/winter fuel mix changes, seasonal air density changes, etc.). HP gains are seen but tend to manifest only at wide open throttle ... when the engine is gulping as much air as it possibly can and slightly denser air makes a mild but measureable difference.

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

An engine is like basically a large air compressor. More Air in/out the better the performance of the engine.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Agreed, combining intake mods AND exhaust mods to allow the entire system to breathe better should yield more substantial improvements. However, making mods only on the intake side of things won't do a whole heck of a lot by itself.