1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air France Flight 447 - Terrorism?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Jun 3, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I just read there was a bomb threat on a previous flight a few days earlier for Air France ... sure hope this isn't another round of terrorism, but it wouldn't surprise me.

What's everyone's views of flying these days? I spent many years after 9/11 not wanting to fly, but I've gotten over that with time and for this year will probably go on two or three trips with maybe 30 hours of flying total. What's everyone's elses views on flying domestic and international these days? Are we safe? Just get a conversation going...
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think chances are so remote that it shouldn't be a worry. I just read one of those little fact sheets and it said more people get killed by donkeys per year than die in plane incidents. I tend to believe it.

I think we could relax a little with the security, though. The little old lady that gets pulled out of line for random screening is just being harassed for no reason, really, and if they want to blow up your plane they will, period. It's amazing what money can do.

I say fly, have fun, and enjoy the trip.
  3. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have racked up millions of miles on planes for my job. I flew the day before 9/11 to Korea and was stuck there because of the attack. If terrorism rules how we act then they have won. that is really what they want. It is not to take over our country but to scare us into a dormant country. Too scared to operate on a daily basis.

I found this to be interesting:

Killed by Car Accidents

Highway fatalities account for more than 94% of all transportation deaths. There were an estimated 6,289,000 car accidents in the US in 1999. There were about 3.4 million injuries and 41,611 people killed in auto accidents in 1999. The total number of people killed in highway crashes in 2001 was 42,116, compared to 41,945 in 2000. An average of 114 people die each day in car crashes in the U.S. more... and 1999 pdf... [PDF Document - 2.5M]
    Killed by the Common Flu

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 35 to 50 million Americans come down with the flu during each flu season.The CDC estimates that in the US more than 100,000 people are hospitalized and more than 20,000 people die from the flu and its complications every year.

The Bottom Line...

An Anthrax Epidemic?

Killed in car accidents42,116*
    Killed by the common flu20,000*
    Killed by murders15,517*
    Killed in airline crashes
    (of 477m passenger trips)120 (1)
    Killed by lightning strikes90*
    Killed by Anthrax5

(1) Annual average over 19 year period.
    *Average annual totals in United States.

Murders in the U.S.

2000 FBI Crime Index figures: There were an estimated 15,517 murders in 2000, virtually no change from the 1999 murder estimate of 15,522. The number of murders was 21 percent less than in 1996 and 37.2 percent less than in 1991. more...

Killed by Airline Crashes

While there are risks in using all forms of transportation, commercial airline travel is one of the safest. From January 1982 to March 2001, a period of 19.25 years, there were a total of 8,109,000,000 passenger enplanements. During that same time period, there were 2,301 fatalities (120 people killed on average each year), and 348 serious injuries. This amounts to a 0.00003% chance of being seriously injured or killed in a commercial aviation accident. This is far less than any other mode of transportation. [Source: NTSB, Passenger Fatalities, 1982 through March 2001.] more...

Killed by Lightning

Lightning-related fatality, injury, and damage reports in the US were summarized for 36 years since 1959, based on the NOAA publication Storm Data. There were 3239 deaths, 9818 injuries, and 19,814 property-damage reports from lightning during this period. On average, 90 people are killed every year in the U.S. by lightning. [NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS SR-193]

I would rather fly than drive. But they don't make a Chevy Plane.:lol:
  4. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice find, Bryan
  5. jetjarv

jetjarv New Member

airbus has a problem with their tails. i'd bet that the tail failed. they are composite. composites are very strong and lightweight, but if they started to delaminate they loose their strength quickly. metal will bend and crack but it will stay together allowing you to determine if metal was stresses. with composite you don't know till it fails.

unfortunately with an airplane you can't pull off to the side of the road. tail gone, you are finished.

i woudn't worry about flying though. just like the statistics posted above.

I agree with the security. Some of their precautionary measures are a little silly. Has anyone seen the skit Saturday Night Live put on about TSA security? It used to be on utube but it was pulled off. It was the funniest skit i've ever seen!
  6. TomsHHR

TomsHHR New Member 100 Posts

I have traveled as part of my job for the last 10 years. I just do what you should do and that keep aware of your surroundings.
    I did a training trip to Saudi last year and getting ready for another this Oct. I average 26 trips some years, this year its down to 6 so far.

TSA always is different at every airport on what they tell you, someone needs to show them how the checks should be the same at every location.
  7. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Personally a bad guy would be screwed to try to hijack a plane that me or any of my buddies would be on. I am not the type that could sit back and let that happen.
    Having said that I am not fearful of flying anywehere. I am a former US Marine - so are a lot of my buddies and we have all participoated in force protection exercises.
    I'm always down for a good scrappin when iots needed. Terrorists have somewhat completed their mission: making regular folks fearful of flying on planes plust they have taken many lives of heros and the innocent along with them.
    Don't let them think they have won, travel, live life to the best you can and keep some spare bacon on you just in case!
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I doubt it was terrorism. Terrorists usually like to take "credit" for their work.

As for flying, not my favorite thing to do. I know Jesus as my Savior, and am 100 percent sure of my eternity. Just don't want my last few minutes here spent falling 6 or 7 miles.
  9. loic

loic New Member

ke it was said before, airplane are the safest. i have no fear flying, saturday i'm bringing back my kids to LAX has they're going back to France and my wife will come back from Japan next wednesday.everytime i take the plane i get the ssss on my ticket and get special treatment from security....grrrrrr random yeah right.....
  10. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i am not afraid of flying, buti think it is overrated however, if i were to go to california, i would probably flym abd if i were to go to another country, i would probably fly, but for me to go to florida or pennsylvania or mississippi, i would rather drive