air/heat blower not working?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gabronco91, Dec 3, 2008.

1. gabronco91

gabronco91 New Member

2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4.8
    The other night I got in my truck and turned the heat on, I could hear it click under the hood but nothing is blowing out. It started working two days later for about 15 minutes but then stopped again. I've checked all the fuses and they are fine. I don't have the $95 for the stealership to look at it. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Cory

2. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

could be a relay, ohm out your old one possibly take out blower motor and battery test it just hold the leads to your battery and see if it runs if not bad motor. good luck

3. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

This once happened to my wifes car. I removed the protective cover fom the fan removed it. It was packed full of straw etc. and I figured a mouse got in there somehow. I cleaned it and spun the blades untile the moved freely. Turned on the switch and bingo. It doesn't take a whole lot to jam one up.

4. Trask215

Trask215 Rockstar 100 Posts

It's possible it's just a loose connection somewhere. But Mice and rats are common problems with under hood issues. Just hope there isn't one in there when you remove the cover lol. Good luck.

5. gabronco91

gabronco91 New Member

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try some of those things out today.

6. gabronco91

gabronco91 New Member

I took the motor out and tested it, it works fine. I noticed that on the plug, the one before the plug that goes into the motor, the ground is black and possibly melted a little bit. So, does that mean a short somewhere?

7. Trask215

Trask215 Rockstar 100 Posts

That's what is sounds like to me but i'm no mechanic

8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Possible short right by the motor, trace the wires back from the motor and see if any are opened.
    Could have rubbed right in that spot, do you see any signs of it by the motor? Check any of the wires also in the area, by the relay located by the notor, should have 3/4/5 wires in a plug to the relay.

Jeff