Air Intake Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Jimbo3, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Jimbo3

Jimbo3 Rockstar 100 Posts

I just bought a 06 chevy silverado LTZ 4x4 with the 5.3L and I was wondering if it's worth putting in an air intake. Does anyone have the same truck and notice a difference in gas mileage or performance?

Any input will be helpful

James

2. kgibson181

kgibson181 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My buddy has an 06 LTZ 5.3L same truck as you and after he added his 35's with his lift he was desperate to find something to gain him gas mileage. He got a cold air intake and said he saw a 2 to 3 mpg increase so I would say its definately worth the investment. Also an exhaust to accompany that would boost results

3. Jimbo3

Alright thanks! And btw, do you know what cold air intake he put on? And did he do a full exhaust or just a cat back?

Thanks,
    James

4. kgibson181

He has the K&N intake and a magnaflow catback duals.

5. Jimbo3

6. kgibson181

That could work but I don't know if I would buy it for my own truck IMO. Spectre makes a CAI that I have seen no difference from the K&N for about 175 which is good when a K&N is about 420. Just make sure whatever you do get to make sure it has the plastic intake tube not the metal. The metal heats up and starts sucking hot air into your engine.

7. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

my cuz has the true flow xid intake and i wish i would have got it you can see it on the stylintrucks performance page. This thing makes some serious power and it gave him 3mpg gain.

8. Jimbo3

alright, well i'll look around for a CAI with a plastic tubing, it's just hard because i'm a broke college student, so if I would like to avoid spending alot of money, but i didn't know in this case if the more money you spend the better. I mean it looks the same, it's an open end air filter. But i don't know much about it....

Thanks

9. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

if your broke and have the factory airbox, take the snorkle on the side of it off. drop in a regular k&n filter. it will help. make sure you never over oil the filters, we get fry'd mass air sensors in all the time from that

10. Jimbo3

Alright, well if i buy that one on ebay, it comes with all the mounting hardware and brackets... I don't know how to hook up just a plain K&N filter, what do I do with all the sensors? and stuff