air intake question

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Jimbo3, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Jimbo3

Jimbo3 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi,
    I'm sure this has been answered before, but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer. I want to put a CAI on my 06 silverado 5.3L, but don't want to fork up the cash.... is changing the stock air filter with like a K&N filter make difference? or do you really need to change the whole thing?

Thanks,
    James

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

the silverado intake flows well, so a nice filter will help. most restriction is in the tube though.

3. Jimbo3

okay, because if i bought a CAI i would go with the Spectre since it's cheap... although I heard I don't want the metal tube because it transfers the hear, but yet I can't afford to spend the $300 for a K&N

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That K&N setup is a waste of money, your 100% right about that one. Green filter company make a smooth intake tube which works with the factory air box and box filter, the ridges in the OEM intake tube are what breaks up the flow of air. Check them out for a cheaper solution, that part for a 5.3 is around $150 shipped. :great:

5. Jimbo3

I will have to check it out, but will that make a difference? or do i need to replace the air box to?

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would think that the stock air box would be sufficient enough, it is the same basic design as the Volant model. You could change to a cone filter inside the factory air box, that was a thought that also crossed my mind. Also the stock air box has that hole in the side, that draws air in from the inner fender from outside.

7. J_chevyman

J_chevyman Rockstar

I have the K&N intake in the stock box and after I bought my Cold Air K&N I saw a HUGE difference in torque and power. I bought my my intake that usually runs for $300 for $70 from a guy who was selling the parts from his Silverado. I also didnt want to pay $300 so I spent hours and days on Craigslist checking til I finally found one. I seem them all the time for like $100. You should check :great:

8. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Go to your local Auto Zone and check out their Spectre products... They have filters, tubes, and all the other pieces you'd need to build your own CAI...

9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Airaid and Green filter make a intake tube that fits between the stock airbox and t/body and they dont have all the baffles that the stock tube has. Also if you have a diegrinder, cutter for aluminum (so plastic wont clog up bit) and a 1/2 inch drill bit you can modify you stock airbox. Remove the stock airbox and drill below the filter and the side behind the headlight holes with the 1/2 drill bit. Inside the top and bottom of the airbox grind smooth all the ridges and baffles to smooth out the inside of the box. This does help with airflow. It is time consuming but with a good filter, airtube and this airbox mod you will see and feel a differance.

10. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

how much louder would the intake be from changing out the stock one to one that is not baffled?