Air or Nitrogen in your tires

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by aloxdaddy99, Dec 26, 2011.

?

Air or Nitorgen

1. Air

37 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Nitrogen

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I used n2 when I got the new tires & wheels mounted cost an extra $20 for the set. Was susposed to help improve mpg, keep tire pressure full durring cold months. But really I have actually seen a decline in my mpg from 18-19 to 15-16. Had the n2 since March 2011 first thing changed on the truck then flowmaster exhaust, & the mpgs are slipping down instead of improving. Maybe a different problem but I'm thinking about cutting my losses & going back to air.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have to say very nice read. But as most will do I will stick with FREE air..I know that I can change it or add some in 1 min from anywhere I am.

By the way Can you use N2 in Air horns?

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You could but it wouldnt make any difference in the operation of the air horn and you'd have to pay to get your tank charged.
    Low riders that compete in hopping contest's will sometimes use nitrogen instead of air because they can get their tanks filled with pressurized Nitrogen upto 3500PSI, you normally wont find compressed air above 120PSI.

4. grape2

grape2 Member

With the tire pressure monitors, Chrysler had us to put nitrogen in tires so the silly little light would not come on. After about two years, they seemed to drop that requirement. We could still use it but not required. About an even split from the customers, some claimed improvement, some just complained. Like the others I use air.

5. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Im using N2 because that is what was in the tiresfrom the dealer. I will say that tires have kept a constant and stable pressure for almost a whole year. I have heard rumors of tires running at cooler temps while running in hot weather =ing longer tire life. I don't have any proof to back up this info. Just something I had seen on a couple of the Corvette forums!

6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Yup me too. And Nitrogen takes all the moisture out of the tire so if you are stranded in the desert and need to suck some moist air , yup regular air for me. It has worked for many a years:neutral:

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I bought new tires for the wifes HHR Monday and the counter guy was trying to sell me on Nitrogen at $10 a tire.
    He went into the whole spiel about the benefits, as he was wrapping it up I started hitting him with technical questions about Nitrogen and if he would do a hot purge.
    He looked at me and asked do you work for a company that sells gasses?
    I said no I was a cryogenic plant operator a few years back and had to go to school to learn about cryogenics and gasses.
    Then he said you probably just want regular old air dont you?
    Yup!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I love it hen they try to BS their way into an add on sale

9. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Air is available. So really it's less a choice.

10. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They same their are advantages to runnign nitrogen. But like everything there are down falls like availability. Dealer had it in there when I bought it so for now that's what I'm running.