Air or Nitrogen in your tires

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by aloxdaddy99, Dec 26, 2011.

Newest Photos

?

Air or Nitorgen

1. Air

37 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Nitrogen

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. dadngt

dadngt New Member 100 Posts

I've had both Nitrogen in my old 17in tire wheel combo & air in my new 18in tire wheel combo. I get the same MPG so it seems like more of a snake oil with minor benefits lol
  2. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I run it in my tires. The big benefit is in tire pressure stability. Boyle's law of partial pressures if my memory serves me right. Also no o2 means you do not oxidize the rubber, at least from the inside.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea, it's Boyles law.
    Having worked a purifying plant that produced Nitrogen in the past I agree with you about the stability to a certain point, the last few months prior to replacing my wifes Nitrogen filled tires we had so many tire pressure issues though, the pressure fluctuated with every temperature change. Shouldnt do that with pure Nitrogen, which is why I believe having them service your tires with nitrogen is a waste because they dont purge and evacuate them first which creates a diluted Nitrogen atmosphere in the tire and they wont be as stable as they should be.
    Oxidization inside the tires is negligable since you'll probably wear them out before they have issues from that.
  4. donyms

donyms New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Around here it seems every tire store you go to wants to put Nitrogen in your tires and it has been this way for about 5 years now but I have always passed because I believe you don't fix something unless it's broke and air has worked fine for me so far. Now after reading all this wonderful info on this thread I will definitely stick with the air for now. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. :great:
  5. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member 100 Posts

i have nitrogen in both my sets of tires, no reason besides it came with one so i get free refills and such
  6. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Air is more accessible and less expensive, despite industry claiming otherwise.. When your tires do go down and no Nitrogen is available you mut ad air and then the dilution dilemma begins.
  7. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

Ive actually had really good luck with nitrogen...i had my tires for 2 1/2 years and i never lost tire pressure with N2
  8. Outdoor's Guy

Outdoor's Guy New Member

This vehicle is the first one that I have used nitrogen in and I have to say I really like it.
  9. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Can you elaborate on the pluses and minuses you see/feel with nitrogen fill? I would be interested to see what distinct issues you enjoy over standard air.
  10. The Heater

The Heater New Member 100 Posts

I have to go with Surrealone on this topic. However, I have a degree in Chemistry and I know it is not snake oil, it does present an advantage in terms of maintaining pressure over air. But why would I fill my tires with something that if I drive on a trip, I can't get at any old place should a tire lose some pressure for whatever reason? I am then contaminating the nitrogen and completely removing its advantage.

Air is working just fine for me. The one reason I would go with Nitrogen is maybe if I could stop at Les Schwab where I was heading on a trip, and I knew where they were along the way, then maybe I would do it. But that is a real big maybe.