1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air or Nitrogen in your tires

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by aloxdaddy99, Dec 26, 2011.

?

Air or Nitorgen

1. Air

37 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Nitrogen

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. Outdoor's Guy

Outdoor's Guy New Member

With the nitrogen, I never seem to loose any air pressure.
  2. tiltonb

tiltonb New Member

I use propane in a pinch.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Wonderful idea :gasp:

To all those who see value in paying $10, or more, per tire for N2.......................you are aware, that good old air is 78% Nitrogen
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have had nitrogen in my last 4 sets of tires I bought. Unless I pick up a puncture the pressure seems to remain constant. Most tire places in Michigan (or at least near me) put in N2 for free when you buy the tires. If something happens when I am on the road, I will fill up with air and when I get home the tire place will take the tire off the rim (to patch the hole) and refill with N2. My mother in law lives in Ohio and the local tire place wanted $25 per tire to put N2 in. The place up the street charges $3 each if you did not buy your tires there.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

$3.00 is a good deal, I would use N2 at $3.00/tire
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In the area I live in outside of the dealership nobody service's with Nitrogen, the dealership charges $10 per tire to fill up or adjust the pressures.
    My wifes car needed all 4 tires topped off about every other month for the last year they had nitrogen in them, that stopped and I serviced them with good old air as soon as I realized she was paying $40 every time I told her to "just go get air in your damn tires at the dealership" since she drove right past it on her way to work. Since filling them with air 18 months ago I havent had to service them yet, and if they do need servicing she can go to the Discount tires next to her work for free since I bought a new set of tires from them 6 months ago.
    My truck will be a year old next month and the nitrogen has had to be serviced once when the truck was 6 months old when I brought the truck in for an oil change (they did it for free since I bitched about having to pay $40 to service with nitrogen that supposedly is so great that I dont need to service it that often) and the tires need to be serviced again now 6 months later, I'll pull my compressor out and do it this time.
    I said it before and I'll say it again nitrogen is not all it's hyped up to be, it certainly isnt worth $10 a tire not counting how much more you'll have to spend keeping the tire properly serviced for the life span of the tire.
    Having worked in Aviation for 25yrs I know even aircraft tires require servicing, some as often as every other day, the only good thing about nitogen is it isnt as influenced by heat and cold, but that doesnt mean you wont ever have to service it, and at $10 a tire it just aint worth the expense.
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This is exactly what I was going to say. Air does just fine and is free. Why pay for nitrogen when regular air is mostly nitrogen anyway? It's like paying for bottled water....
  8. 87silver

87silver Member 1 Year

Get real, pay for nitrogen? I must say that back in the '80's we were some of the few running ATCs and ATVs. We used to inflate the tires with nitrogen due to the requirement of low pressure (2.2-3psi) and moderate temp changes (40F-80F), because we went on multiday outings at extreme altitude changes. But for road vehicles where pressures are much higher and temp changes are much more gradual, it really comes down to paying for convenience or laziness.
  9. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I use air, because i would not know where to get nitrogen around here
  10. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

Nitrogen on vehicles with the tire pressure system.
    Nitrogen for trailer tires that sit around a lot.

Air for the rest.