1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air or Nitrogen in your tires

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by aloxdaddy99, Dec 26, 2011.

?

Air or Nitorgen

1. Air

37 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Nitrogen

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. mechacode

mechacode New Member

I use air because air is everywhere, nitrogen isn't around enough to randomly get it. On the flip side, a customer bought rims/tires and they were filled with nitrogen, they haven't lost a single psi in 8 months.
  2. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

snake oil.JPG

Not much difference between nitrogen and dry air.

Some folks say that the oxygen in the air binds with the metal in the rim or the rubber in the tire leading to a loss of pressure. I'm not so sure that goes on, and to the extent that it does, it is used up leaving... mostly nitrogen.

You all do check your tire pressures at least once a month, right?
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Actually, at every fill up! I scroll through all of the options in my DIC to reset my average mpg and my trip, I pass the tire pressures on the way so I check them out also.
  4. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

...and having a tire pressure monitoring system is another reason to use the less corrosive nitrogen. ;)
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, you'll have to explain that to me. Other than a few pollutants, what is corrosive about the air you breath.
  6. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

Oxygen by nature causes oxidation, without it you wouldn't really have rust etc. With the nitrogen (if you are getting a good more pure fill of it) you have MUCH less Oxygen thus you have less of a reaction. The tire monitoring system is sensitive and thus any corrosion you can keep down from them will make them last longer.

Or if you want a more intelligent reply than I can give. (LOL)
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_element_oxygen_corrosive
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/oxygen-steel-pipe-corrosion-d_1170.html

- - - Updated - - -

Using good Nitrogen instead of "air" can also keep cheaper aluminum wheels from oxidizing and causing tire leaks as many have had issues with.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

While in theory I agree with the answer, the problem is when servicing tires their never properly prepared for a Nitrogen charge so technically all your really doing is slightly slowing down the corrosive affects.
    To properly create a non-corrosive environment inside the tire you would need to do a hot purge of dry Nitrogen at 120deg until the tire and rim reached a temperature of 120deg and for not less than 40 minutes to ensure the total space inside the tire was properly purged (given calculations of the average tire size and cubic space inside) anything less than this would not guarantee a total Nitrogen environment, it would be diluted and thus susceptible to corrosion. Which is why the American Gas Standard doesnt endorse servicing tires with Nitrogen since you cant achieve a complete and undiluted Nitrogen fill.

To properly fill and service a tire with Nitrogen would require two valve stems so you had an outlet for the hot purge gases.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree, oxygen is an oxidizer, but not necessarily corrosive (oxidization is not always a bad thing). It requires a moist environment to reactive with iron to form rust. If by it's very nature, it rusted sheet steel, vehicles from the "dry" states would be rusty.

Air is (if I remember correctly) 78% nitrogen and 16% oxygen, unless you purge the air (as @tbplus 10 suggested) out of the tire before you fill with nitrogen, you will still have some oxygen.
  9. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

Indeed but every bit that helps slow it down is good with me.

Oxidation does not need much if any moisture to happen. Rust might but even your plastic parts can get oxidation.