1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

air shocks

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 28, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

2. steved

steved Former Member

The only drawback to air shocks is that they tend to put a lot of extra stress on the shock mounting hardware...I've seen more than one shock bolt rip off the mount using air shocks.

If you want the added load carrying capacity, you'd could consider of buying a set of airbags and leaving the shocks alone.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

One problem Ive always had with air shocks is a shocks true purpose is to dampen the vehicles ride, even when the pressure is lowered they air shocks have a tendancy to carry the weight and dont do as well in dampning the ride.
    Look at the RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) it does a great job of being there when you need it and not affecting the ride when you dont need it.
    I installed a set on my Trail Tacoma which runs Chevy 63" r/r springs, when loaded for the trail it was having a real problem maintaining the r/r ride height. After installing a RAS the problem is gone, the only side effect is it doesnt droop as well as it used to, I probably lost 2" of droop.
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

yeah i have these on my chevelle, theyre good shocks for lifting it a couple inches, or when you get a whole car full of people.
    if you put 100psi in them and your driving by yourself, the back end is STIFF. but weight appropriate PSI and theyre great.

i was just wondering if anyone has tried them on their truck... like in an offroad setting
  5. tbplus10

Back in the day air shocks were a common practice on 4x4's to gain a little extra room for larger tires.
    Ill admit to cheaping out and using them more than once. But I did eventually pay the price in both a stiffer ride and busting shock mounts, ripping out bolts and in one case even cracking a set of springs. With all the options available now I wouldnt even think about air shocks or coil wrapped shocks unless tje aplication was designed to use coilovers, just makes things to stiff for my taste at this age.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's what SHE said...

Ok seriously, I have a question. When the shock mounts busted, what (negative) impact did that have on other parts of the vehicle and what did it cost to fix/repair?
  7. tbplus10

On a lifted 82 Chevy short bed I had failure happened on both r/r shock mounts while I was on a trail about 70 miles from home, they both broke within a few feet of each other. Driving home from the trail the truck waß fine until I got off secondary roads and started driving on the freeway, at speeds above 35 any bumps made the truck bounce bad, and if it was bouncing and I hit anouther bump it would get almost uncontrollable.
    My Dually acted about the same only not as bouncy, I lost a shock mount on a roadtrip towing a car trailer.
    Repair cost for both were inexspensive if I remember correctly, at the time my brother owned a wrecking yard so parts were freeand my brother and I did the labor.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yikes. Yea, I'd pass!
  9. steved

steved Former Member

The repair depends on the shock mounting style...I only have experience with them on the older Dodges, and the lower shock mount was part of the spring plate; which meant you had to pull the spring/axle assembly apart to retrieve and replace the broken piece. The upper mount was stout, and it never gave issue; but the lower was problematic...air shocks also tended to eat the shock eye bushings too.
  10. Kady

Kady New Member

I wish I could buy these to replace my shocks that cost 10x as much for one shock. :(