1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air tool?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevytrucknutzo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. chevytrucknutzo

chevytrucknutzo New Member

I have a Ingersoll Rand 236G impack wrench. The wrench works ok it will bust the lug nuts loose on my truck pretty easily. I torque all of them down to the recomended 140 ft. lb. I found out inadverdently today that I have it all set up wrong! I called IR today to aske about the grease fitting. The rep told me I should re grease the gun every 40 hours or so of actual use. I would have to bust loose something like 8,000 lug nuts to hit 40 hours of use. So I guess I'll just do it once a year when I do my compressor or maybe ever couple years. But that may not be needed. Anyway I told the rep I was bran new to air tools and they gave me very detailed break down of how to set it up properly. Wow I was way wrong. For instance the manual says 90 psi. I though that ment you set your regulato to 90 psi and bang away. Wrong they told me to set it up so when I pull the trigger the psi does not drop below 90 and 100 psi is the max. I was also instructed with a 3/8 inch hose and 1/4 inch fittings 25 foot was the max. I'm using a 50 foot hose. So I can leave the compressor in place and run the hose to my truck in front of the garage. I ran out and purchased a 25 foot hose and set up regulator as instructed. WOW this think really came alive. But the hose is too short I need 50 foot. They told me I needed a 1/2 inch hose to go 50 foot and 3/8 or bigger fitting. I am going to order a 50 foot 1/2 inch hose with a real. Would I be better off going with 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch fittings? Also how do I go to a larger fitting on the tool? The tool has a 1/4 inch inlet bushing, can this be replaced to accept a larger fitting or do I just use a thread adapter? Thanks!!
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Could probably use a thread adapter for it but hey what do I know?