1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Airaid intake tube with K&N filter- questions and comments

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by hammsfamms, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

Just bought an airaid CAI mated with a K&N cone filter and I have a few things to say. First of all I'm pleased so far in my first day driving with it, I really felt and heard the difference at high revs getting on the freeway this morning, but it didn't come with a heat shield. Should I make one or rig something up using the factory air box? Does anyone know how well the factory box works at blocking heat and if I can't manage to fit these parts together what would be a good material to make a homemade heat shield or air box with?

Also, in my 1997 c1500 p/u with 5.0L vortec V8, is the black box sitting atop the intake and throttle body the resonator (the on that says VORTEC) on it? if so can that be removed to remove some resistance? I know about aftermarket tubing kits and am choosing not to go that route right now

Thanks for any input and pictures of homemade heat shields for aftermarket CAIs!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What is the kits part #? Airaid makes several kits for your truck. Need to know what kit you have before making any suggestions.
  3. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

sorry about that you can find it here on airaid's site
    http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=200-102

or the part number is 200-102.

But instead of airaid's cone filter it's K&N's. I think I'm going to say forget the whole thing and get one of airaid's MIT's to make my own tubing, then stick with the stock airbox with a K&N filter, unless better ideas come through this thread
  4. silveradotrailblazer

Have you looked at Airaids kit # 200-207? It has a heat shield.
  5. hammsfamms

hammsfamms New Member

yeah but they don't just sell the heat shield by itself. I already have everything else I got it for forty bucks from someone on craigslist, so I'm not looking to buy the same thing for $250 just for one part
  6. silveradotrailblazer