1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Airaid Intake Tube

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mah2496, May 3, 2012.

1. mah2496

mah2496 Member

I'm considering adding an Airaid modular intake tube to my 5.3L, which has a K&N filter and Diablew tune. Looking for some improvement in performance but can not decrease mpg. Anyone have/like the M.I.T.?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You likely won't see performance gains. You can't put more air into the engine than it can consume ... and from the look of things you've done no exhaust work.
  3. mah2496

mah2496 Member

Will a performance exhaust help? Ive heard the gm exhausts are not significantly restricted compared to aftermarket.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You have heard/read correctly that the OEM exhaust is more than adequate. CAI/intake work coupled with exhaust work will yield moderate improvements ... but mostly at WOT.

Don't expect miracles from such mods. I've personally found the biggest improvements to have come from my tuner and custom tune -- which I see you've already got. Everything else is much, much smaller in terms of cost-to-benefit ratio ... primarily because the parts cost so much and the benefits are pretty minimal. I've read a few people claiming 1.5mpg from CAI's and I'd kill to have a CAI that gave me 1.5mpg. So far such claims have all been unsubstantiated. :(
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I installed an airaid intake which seemed to wake it up a bit. But its all relative to your perception I guess. I also have a custom tune and changed out the exhaust and gears.

I did get a performance gain, well at least according to the seat of my pants test :) With said I did not lose MPG and maybe a slight gain on the freeway.
  6. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

Any mod that makes YOU happy is worth it.
    I'm happy with mine.

[​IMG]
  7. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

Id say you may pick up alittle performance but idk if youd notice it. By adding the tube you would probably notice alittle better throttle response. The tube will be smoother thus reducing the restriction of the air flow. A exhaust will deff help. My 2 cents
  8. mah2496

mah2496 Member

Should I decide to add a performance muffler, would it be a waste to buy replace the muffler alone in lieu of a cat-back package?
  9. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

its deff better to do the whole thing. your pretty much just gunna notice a diff in the sound but thats about it unless you do the whole thing. i would recommend a magnaflow, or corsa catbat there great systems and have free flowing exhaust un like a flowmaster. im currently running a flowmaster super 44 sounds good but ill pick up alittle hp with a free flowing muffler
  10. drt1955

drt1955 New Member

This morning I put on the Airaid MIT on my 2012 Sierra 4X4 XLT -Black with 1,200 miles on it. It took me about 45 minutes. I got hung up on trying to remove the air hose from air valve stem trying not to break the connector--there is a push-in release that is hard to see. I could tell an immediate difference in the truck. Throttle response is obvious immediately. There is no hesitation starting from a stop and the idle seems to be smoother. Also, it sounds awesome when you get on the throttle. The truck seems like it can breathe better and is much happier. I read where the MIT and K & N air filter combination was the best. The K & N is being shipped from Amazon now. Total invested between the two--$155. Cheap Mod and well worth it. I hope it helps with gas mileage. I will post results soon.