1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AirAid MIT

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sierra11, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Member

Hey guys I just ordered my scan cable for bb and am really excited to see the power difference. I have put in a k&n filter and thought about putting in the airaid mit. I'm just not sure if its really worth the money or is the filter good enough? It's either I get this or some HID's.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  2. dobey

dobey Member

If you're getting the Airaid filter, and thinking about the intake tube as well, just get the Jr kit which includes both. The stock intake tube is more of a bother than the filter is. I installed the Jr kit on my truck and it just sounds better.

It was a bit of a pain to install though, as getting the clamp rings around the silicone attachments once it's on the tube can be a challenge, as can getting the tube to fit in properly, but it's definitely worth it; and it still looks like it could be stock, which is nice.

I say do it. My Avy loves it.
  3. sierra11

sierra11 Member

Yeah I have a k&n drop in filter so all i'm looking for is the intake tube
  4. dobey

dobey Member

Well, I would get it over a HID kit, especially if you're planning to install HIDs in the factory reflector housing. HIDs in reflector housings are very bad, and they need to be installed in projector housings to be right.

I've had a terrible time finding the right projector housings for my Avalanche. I found a set that looked nice, but when I got them, and a good HID kit, the bulbs were too long as the housings were only designed for halogen (but no sellers, nor the manufacturer web site said so). And I wasn't having great luck dealing with their support department, so I had to return those. Found another set that looks a bit closer to stock than the ones I got, but not having any luck getting them to tell me if the xenon bulbs will fit or not, either. :(

It might be easier to find good projector housings that can fit xenon bulbs for the Silverado though. They are a little different, but I haven't tried to look for them really.

But with all that, yeah, get the intake tube. It sounds, and looks, much better than the bulky and oddly shaped stock tube.
  5. sierra11

sierra11 Member

alright I appreciate it
  6. sierra11

sierra11 Member

Just bought the airaid mit, I saw blackbears dyno on several intakes and was the best even out of the full intake!
  7. drt1955

drt1955 New Member

This morning I put on the Airaid MIT on my 2012 Sierra 4X4 XLT -Black with 1,200 miles on it. It took me about 45 minutes. I got hung up on trying to remove the air hose from air valve stem trying not to break the connector--there is a push-in release that is hard to see. I could tell an immediate difference in the truck. Throttle response is obvious immediately. There is no hesitation starting from a stop and the idle seems to be smoother. Also, it sounds awesome when you get on the throttle. The truck seems like it can breathe better and is much happier. I read where the MIT and K & N air filter combination was the best. The K & N is being shipped from Amazon now. Total invested between the two--$155. Cheap Mod and well worth it. I hope it helps with gas mileage. I will post results soon.
  8. sierra11

sierra11 Member

I got mine yesterday and installed it today to go with the k&n filter I already had. It was a piece of cake to put on. I think it sounds great, I haven't had a chance to get it up and going yet. I got a great deal it only costs $80 on amazon. I'll try and get some pics on here and a before and after video. I am taking a video from before, then after the intake, and finally after bb tune.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

ive been toying with this as well, i have a K&N drop in filter, and been looking at the intake tubes. sounds like this may be my next mod.

Alex
  10. sierra11

sierra11 Member

Yeah you should definitely go for it. It's been proven to be better than the $300 intakes