1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

airbag light

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by 2wheelmudder, Jun 16, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member 100 Posts

on my 2000 silverado my air bag light goes off and on as it pleases i buckle my seatbelt and everything dont understand why it wants to do this should i check fuses?
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are you talking about the seatbelt light? The airbag light simply tells you if its off or on...I dont think the use of your seatbelt affects the airbag light.

If your truck has the sensors in the seats that tells if someone is in the passenger seat and turns the airbag on, or if nobody is in it(or not heavy enough to activate it)turns it off...that sensor may be bad.

Sometimes the airbag is bad also. Is the light the service airbag light?
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If I am correct, a 2000 Silverado 2500 should have the switch in the center of the dash to turn the passenger airbag on or off, so there are no sensors in the seat or anything like that. The light will come on if you turn the passenger airbag off, to make sure you don't forget to turn it back on afterward. My guess is that the switch for the passenger airbag may have gone bad, or you have an airbag or airbag module (beneath driver seat) failure. I would check the connections to the module under the seat, but be sure not to disconnect anything, since if you don't allow enough time after disconnecting the battery, messing with airbag wiring could set them off.
  4. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder New Member 100 Posts

yes i do have the key switch ill look into the cables under the seat thank you so i should undo my battery but wait awhile?
  5. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You should be alright to check connectors without disconnecting the battery, but I would strongly recommend against it. The airbag system is the one thing I won't take chances with, since it can be deadly. That is why I replaced every light in my dash with LED's except the airbag key switch. It's just not something I want to take a chance with, and with my stereo, its a real pain to disconnect the battery and have to redo all the settings.