Airbag sensor 1 location

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Aug 29, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a code that is for airbag sensor 1 on my 05 yukon xl. Is that the driver or passenger side?
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It may not be either one. There are other sensors on the vehicle... On the seat rails among other places. I think I would let the dealer fool with that... Otherwise, it's time for a shop manual!
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea air bag codes make me skittish which is why I always let a dealer mess with them.
    Last year I watched an ambitious mechanic at an independent shop blow the bags in a new Cadillac CTSV because he didnt properly protect against static electricity while messing with a sensor, theres something like 8 or 9 bags at a cost of a couple thousand dollars for all of them. The car owner and shop owner got in an argument over who was responsible for the replacement cost.
    Just reaffirmed my impression that somethings are better off left to the dealership even if you dont like dealing with them, if they screw up during the trouble shooting it out of their pocket not yours.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I did some research and discovered that it was the driver side. I found the part for $75. Disconnected the battery, touched the positive and negative cables together to drain any remaining charge, Then I let it sit for 30 minutes. It took 5 minutes to change the sensor and all is well.
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Awesome. Glad it worked out!