1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

All terrain tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Ajwholloway, May 13, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Ajwholloway

Ajwholloway New Member

Hi all, I'm new here. I have an 09 silverado with the 5.3L v8 in it. I'm wanting to put all terrain tires on my truck to give it a more aggressive look as well as be an aid when I'm in the woods. So, my question is this, how badly will my gas mileage be affected by going from the factory 275/55/20 street tires to the same size but using the nitto terra grapplers instead. If it's not a terrible drop I had considered going with a more aggressive look and going with 275/70/18, but I know that that size is 33" tall compared to the factory 31.9. Any idea on how badly the gas mileage will be affected with this setup also?

Thanks
  2. paracutin

paracutin New Member 100 Posts

I have an 04 2500HD. I went from OEM tires to Wild Country MTX Mud Terrain tires. I lost 1.5 MPG. Doesn't sound like much but it was about a 10% drop.

Edit: I went up one size from stock.
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When you upsize tires significantly from OEM primary or alternate sizes expect to lose 1-3 MPG. 33 or larger inch tires are big and heavy ... and you have to get those suckers rolling and keep them rolling. Unless you regear to match the new size (to a close approximation of what you had, RPM-wise, at certain speeds on your stock tires and gears) you're going to lose MPG because you downshift to ascend mild inclines where you didn't have to, before. You're also taller so you've got more air resistance.

You can get an electronic tuner and use a stock tune on it to recover some of this. You can recover a bit more of it with a custom tune via the tuner. In addition to a tuner it'll take intake/exhaust work and the regear I mentioned to recover the lion's share of what you lose from lifts and upsized tires.

Surreal

P.S. You'll also want a tuner to correct the speedo error you'll induce by going with larger tires.
  4. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My stock tires are 245/70R17 and I have on there right now 265/70R17 Wrangler AT/S. I like them and they look good. My speedometer is off a little bit but knowing that, it isn’t too bad. My MPG is about 14-15. If that is what you like and it cost you an extra gallon a week. Is it worth it to you? To me yes...
  5. Bamafan

Bamafan New Member

I went from a 265/65 18 (31.6" dia) stock to a 270/70 18 (33.16" dia). I noticed an immediate drop of about 2 mpg in fuel economy, and my speedo is off by over 3 mph. I called my dealership but they cant reprogram it for anything above stock size tires, so I'm kinda stuck. There may be a few more factors that are affecting my mpg; for instance, I went with a heavy 10-ply tire (mistake) and I only have a 4.8L which I will never have again because I feel it is under powered. But in the long run, I don't really drive many miles a week so it doesn't hit my billfold too much unless I travel on the interstate or tow my trailer around town. If I were you, I would probably base my decision on how much you currently drive and how much a little less mpg would effect you. Good luck on your decision!
  6. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

Look at the Nitto Cross Terrains. I just had them installed and they are the only tire I have ever purchased that lives up to the hype. They are more agressive, I would say a hybrid tire.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

going from highway tread to an all terrain will drop it a little and then expect even bigger drop if you get more towards a mud terrain.
  8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

Did you mean Michelin cross terrain? I don't see these on the nitto website.
  9. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

I'm sorry - should have said Nitto Cross Tek.
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

Those aren't to bad... not as aggressive as the Terra grapplers. Looks like a tighter tread design... should give decent wear.