All you audio people out there....I need your help!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 2011laserblue, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey guys

Thinking my next upgrade to my truck will be a better sound system.
    I currently have the factory bose, and don't get me wrong, the things great....but I think an amp and a sub or two would be AWESOME.

Now...for the questions

Can I even do an upgrade? A friend of mine had an upgraded stereo from the factory (don't think it was bose) in his oldsmobile...I think it was an 02 or 03? Can't remember, but he wasn't able to do an upgrade because the vehicle was already amped and stuff from the factory.
    Now, I know next to nothing about audio or electronics...is this possible?

Next - Im assuming I will have to swap out my stock interface, correct? Will this affect my steering wheel controls? If so is there some sort of adapter to make them work? Which ones are good...I don't need the fancy touch screen blah blah blah, but I also don't want the cheap pop out kind? What's the best guys?

Amp and sub wise....
    I dont know anything about amps....nothing. I was thinking two 10's or two 12's...?? Who's the best for not an outrageous price?
    I was looking at the JL audio stealth box...and I REALLY like that. Perfect fit right under the seat...hides away can get it close to factory carpet, leaves room for the one set to fold..only problem...700 bucks for the stupid thing. That's not including an amp or the deck..or the installation because I know I wont be doing any of the wiring.

Who makes the best stuff....whats the best way to do it guys?
    I want everything under the back seat..preferably like the stealthbox.

HELP!

Thanks guys...I know this is long!

2. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

i always liked kicker. but MTX are good sonys are good JL is also good. im running 2 12inch kickers with boston acoustic amp under by back seats.

3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Hello, so the first thing I'll say is you have to purchase a fairly expensive interface kit for a new deck and then an interface module to retain steering controls. That alone will cost upwards of 200 bucks.

Next I would establish a budget. For good quality sound most people START at between 1500 and 2000. After you've figured out what your comfortable spending go to a local audio shop. At with the headunits on display and figure out which one you like he best (make sure to only look through the ones with a subwoofer preout).

After that explain to the salesmen the kind of music your interested in, the headunit you want and your price range. He will start to steer you down a more defined path.

4. SuthrnZ71

SuthrnZ71 New Member

I gotta say, the stealthbox is awesome! I have one in my 350Z, always loved the sound with 2 JL Audios, and just such a clean look. As far as speakers/subs go, I've always had JL Audio and MTX Audio, both of which have been great! My pick is the MTX Audio, when I had the 2 12s in an older Tahoe that thing hit like nobody's bizness!!! Whereas I've had to replace my JLs once before, never with the MTXs.

5. taxidriver20

taxidriver20 New Member

It really all boils down to how much money do you want to spend! I have an 03 Silverado ex cab which I went all out in! I started with the Alpine cda117 head unit, plays both cd's and my ipod,it also boasts a 4 volt signal output for much cleaner sound. I went with the Focal 165 krx3 components for the driver and passenger doors also installed 2 of the focal krx3 tweeters on either side of the dash which really lifts the soundstage more to ear level! In the rear doors due to depth I went with the focal 130 kr. Want to find a way to install the 165 krx3's back there. For subs I had Boomer Mcloud (the company that installed my entire system) build me a custom ported box that fits very nicely under the rear seat with 2 10" jl w6's. To power all that i have a jl audio hd750 for the subs and a jl audio hd600 for the components. Let me tell you THIS SYSTEM ROCKS!!! On some tracks depending on the recording quality it is literally sonic!!! If you have the $$$ go with focal components there is nothing out there imho that even comes close!!!

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have had alot of experience with truck sub boxes and have spent alot of money on car audio over 20 years. One thing I have found is that most prefab boxes for trucks are...well.... just "ok". The exception to this rule is the JL Audio Stealth Box. I have heard several of those in trucks and for the money they are excellent.

If you want to go with two 10" or 12" subs, my recommnedation is to have someone build a custom sub box. Personally I wouldnt go with dual subs in a truck where the box is under a rear seat simply because of air space. You can have the best subs in the world but if your box sucks so will the subs. On the flip side I have seen guys with swapmeet special subs that sounded like a pair of kicker subs...how? Well, they knew how to build a sub box.

I had two 8" Kicker L7 subs(square subs) in a ported box behind the seat in a Dodge Ram regular cab that blew any dual 12" subs in a truck out of the water. Not only were they loud but pretty clear.

If you want subs that will be loud and have good clarity I recommend JL Audio. I have a pair of JL Audio 12"s and love them. Not only do they hit hard but clear...a get alot of comments on how surprised they are as to how clear they are considering how hard they hit.

You may want to search for shallow subs and see whats out there price wise...shallow subs will give you more flexability on your air space needs for the sub box in concert with where you want the sub box.

Bigger is not always better...your sub box is crucial...

As for your bose system - ditch it if your upgrading IMHO.

You can keep the stock deck if you want to but I would replace the door speakers, buy a 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a nice mono ampo for the subs you choose.

As for brands, everyone has their favorite flavor...JL Audio, Kicker, focal, memphis audio, zappco are all popular choices. Comes down to what you can spend vs what sound you want.

Just dont buy Sony Explode!

7. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Laserblue, I'll bump my build thread, look at it to have an idea of how all out you can go, this is a middle of the road setup compared to setups I have installed as my job. This build hits on about every angle of a complete build. The title is The "real" big build thread.

Surreal, enki, where are u two?

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

@zigger215: I'm keeping to myself because opinions about what kind of audio gear someone should put in his/her truck are like arseholes ... everyone's got one and rarely are they the same.

The question as to what to get comes up so often that I've grown frustrated with it ... because it's a lot like asking 'What truck should I buy?' in that the only correct answer is: 'whatever you like that also fits your needs and budget'.

It's always about compromises. Sometimes you compromise cash to get exactly what you want. Sometimes you give up what you'd ideally have to get what you can afford. Sometimes you give up what you'd ideally have because something's already occuyping the space you'd need for it ... and you're not willing to remove whatever it is. Sometimes you manage a balance of these.

Most people aren't looking for such vague answers, though -- despite how true they tend to be.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  9. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Like the honesty SurrealOne...
    Sorry if I've frustrated you, I just wanted opinions because like I stated before...audio is not my thing.
    Kind of off topic but how do you like the trail grapplers?

Thanks for all the help guys. I probably won't get this upgrade done 'till the summer...gotta save up! I'll be sure to keep you guys posted though, all the responses were very helpful!

Thanks again!

10. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

This is the box I'm getting...[​IMG].It fits two 10's<you can get some from the same site that fit 12's but there isn't a spot on them to mount an amp.As for subs I am getting two DVC Alpine type-R 2-OHM 10's and Alpine Mrx-M100 amp to push them.Here is the deck I just bought.[​IMG]
    When you do get your stuff just make sure your subs are matched to your box (cubic ft) and and your amp is matched to your subs (rms).