1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Allison tranny problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sr71, Mar 13, 2010.

1. sr71

sr71 New Member

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500 HD with the allison 5 speed. Today after running fine it just seemed to go belly up. It does not show what gear I'm in on the dash gear indicator and will not shift into gear properly. If I shift to first and then start shifting up manually it seems to work. Could this be the neut safety/ backup switch or a fliud problem 58k on the odo.
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

It sounds electrical to me. Were you casual driving, or something different?

I don't have much experience with Little Alli, but with the dash out and no auto shift, it sounds like something came unplugged. I'd crawl underneath and look for loose plugs. Check for codes, too.

Good luck,
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This is a very common problem on the Allison 1000. The NBSU switch goes bad. NBSU is the neutral safety switch. There's plenty of info on how to change it on the net. Just Google NBSU.