Almost No Brakes After Hard Stop 2002 1500HD

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Trav, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Trav

Trav Member

Hey everyone,

I have a good one for you.

On my way home today someone pulled out in front of me and I hit the brakes, hard. ABS kicked in and I stopped no problem, no squealing or skids.

After I started going again, when I went to stop, brake pedal went to floor but I could still stop.

I made it home with the brake pedal going almost all the way to the floor every time I went to stop.

When I got home I checked the fluid, looked a little low but not abnormally low. Added more fluid anyway and checked for leaks, couldn't find brake fluid leaking anywhere at any of the wheels.

Crawled under the dash and noticed that the pedal itself is connected to a hydraulic or gas piston, I saw some grease coming out of the piston, but not sure if this is normal as I have never seen it before, could have just been lubricant.

Any ideas? I'll probably drop it at the mechanic in the morning, but this is boggling my mind with no fluid leaking anywhere.

Thanks alot for any help you can offer!:happy:

2. Trav

Trav Member

Scratch that, found the busted line, under driver side door, the rest look pretty rusted.

OK, so what's it cost for all new brake lines?

3. Trav

Trav Member

4. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Wow, Gm should address the issue. Reading the stories on that website scared me.

5. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

hi you could do that. just go to the parts store and buy the lines. a good line wrench will help. then just bleed them. save you a lot of money ralph

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you can afford it do FULL stainless braided brake lines, much more durablke and you will notice a difference even in just normal braking

7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you talking just in place of the flex lines, or all the steel hard lines too?

8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sorry, instead of the flex lines

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

For the hard lines, Napa carries some "Easy Bend" alloy stuff. Very nice. Never rots, goes in like butter. You'll need to buy, rent, or borrow a doulbe flaring tool. Not very much money.

10. mooseye

mooseye New Member

Same problem with my '99. I have had three line failures in less than a year. In my opinion, brake lines on all vehicles should be stainless or equivilent. This could be a life or death situation.