1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

altered truck for offroad weekend. does anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by kawasaki_kid, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

I am planning my first all day offroading trip for tommorow. I decided to tweek my truck a little to get it ready. i removed my grill inserts, they ristrict air flow, trying to avoid over heating. removed my front skirt, i dont want to smash it/scratch it seeing as its painted, it also blocks my tow hook mounting. reinstalled my front tow hooks. fabricated new rubbed insterts for the front fenders. with my body lift, there was a gap all along the bottom and back, that is all filled in now. i also wired up my flood lights, they are mounted on magnets which can be stuck to the roof or removed whenever i want. they hook up to their wiring with 4way flat plug that runs thru the rear drivers window. i also removed my license plate, dont want to smash it either. after the weekend i will remove my two hook again, and reinstall all the removed parts.

does anyone else alter their trucks at all before a day of offroading?

cruise
    IMG_0934.jpg
    muddin
    IMG_0935.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I do a little, too. I'll take the rear swaybar off (if I have it on) to get a little more suspension travel out of the rear. I've wanted to take the front one off, too, but I've heard of too many cases where that contributes to busted CV joints. I guess the sway bar limits the front from dropping too much. Without it, the front wheels can drop enough that the CV joints can bind up and break, so I haven't yet dared to run without the sway bar on the front. I keep a second set of off-road tires, so I will usually trade tires. Other than that, make sure everything is tight and make sure the ARB is working.
  3. fab_101

fab_101 New Member

i dont tweek my truck at all. i keep it the it is. but i baby my truck when off roading for all day. except at our annual mud run then i hell run it.
  4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

yea i never do anything to get it ready.its never really a planned thing anyway..its always one of those nights we cant find anything to do so well go out to get a little muddy...and sometimes break a few things..not a bad idea to prepare tho!
  5. Mattdtrue

Mattdtrue New Member

We have no time to prepare it's a spare of the moment thing only thing I'll do is grab some trash bags for shoes clothes and to cover floor mats. Couple gallons of water for windshield to clean off the mess.
  6. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

I put gas in mine.:lol:
  7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

i just hammer it home no prep for me