Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Alternate block heater

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Six point, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Six point

Six point Member

I recently purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0 l. The truck is from back east and was never equipped with a block heater. Here in Alberta it can hit -35 C. at night and even colder with the wind so a block heater is defininately a requirement .Not impressed with the reports I'm hearing about the factory block heater and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an after market unit? Thanks in advance.
    PK

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have not seen any aftermarket block heaters. I have seen the oil dipstick heaters, but have heard that those are not all that great. I have seen many posts by members in Alaska that use the factory block heater without any issues. You can find them for around $200. About $140 for the heater kit and $60 for the cord. From what I understand it is a fairly easy install

3. Six point

Six point Member

Thanks for the response , Pikey .I was considering getting one of the inline lower rad hose types for the easy install and low cost ($30).I'll have to stop by the dealer and do some pricing on a factory unit .I think the skid plate and oil cooler lines need to come off so the install for that one is definately a little more involved.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have read a few posts on other forums where the person said that they just have to pull a plug out of the block on the drivers side and then screw in the block heater. They said that it was relatively easy to access and they did not have to remove any other parts to get to it. I would go to the dealer with your vin number and have them give you the price and the part numbers. Then go to gmpartsdirect.com and order it from them. Their prices as slightly higher then the GM employee purchase price. (dealer wanted $579 for my clock spring, gmpartdirect wanted $349, I got it at employee price of $329 from GM)