1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Alternate fuel sources for Diesel have you tried any and how well do they work?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by PantheraUncia, Sep 29, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Since I am leaning toward a Dmax I want to know if anyone has used alternate fuels in them and how well it worked? I am thinking of stuff like:

• Bio Diesel
      • Did you make it or buy it?
      • If you made it, how much work was it?
    • Used oil from fast food restaurants? have you tried it after filtering it?
    • Propane/Natural Gas kit for the diesel, ever tried it, how did it work, was it worth it?

2. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts

I'm not sure the company but my dad has a processor, you can make one yourself. Find a Chinese restruant and you good to go. I don't know what goes into the process but I know there's filtration and an addictive. He's says it cost him 25 cents a gallon and uses it on a old diesel he has converted. It's mainly used to get him or my uncle around the farm with a truck that can go through anything but doesn't cost a lot to run
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have a BioFuel processor I use to make fuel for my rockcrawler, unfortunately I havent used the crawler as much in the last few years so I haven't been processing much fuel. I just gave my neighbor 2 fifty gallon drums of biofuel that were sitting for a few months.
    Which is another problem, biofuel doesnt take storage well, my experience is anything over 9 months old usually starts having sediment issues and blocks the fuel filter so I try not to store my truck with any fuel in it and I normally process what I know I'll use soon. My truck's set-up for alternate fuel sources so if need be I can burn kerosene, Jet fuel, engine oil, or even Benzene if I have to. More than once on a roadtrip I've stopped and thrown a gallon of white gas in the tank just to stretch the fuel enough to get home. It'll burn a little hotter on some types of fuel but I have an adjustable water injection system for the cylinders and exhaust that brings the temps way down.

I have my bio fuel cost down to about .60 a gallon with the chemicals.
    BioFuel isnt hard to make most of the time is spent allowing it to run through the filtering process, adding the chemicals and allowing it to soup doesnt take long, the process I use takes a little longer than normal because I double filter my raw oil and allow the soup to process a little longer while mixing. By doing this I've found I get a little better cetane readings which makes for a more even fuel burn.

Initial investment for the processor was about $500, I bought it used off the internet and spent a few extra dollars modifying it to double filter and getting the mixer to spin a little faster.
    Most of my oil comes from a few small rest. around town that have to pay by the gallon to dispose so their more than happy when someone comes to take it for free. I have been known to pick-up and process engine oil from local car parts stores that offer oil disposal for their customers (burns a little smokier though).
    I purchase chemicals by the 55 gl drum from a local Ag/farm supply, 50 gl runs right at $110.
    I'm using a small Perkins Diesel converted to Bio for my power source (fully self contained system) it runs a pulley system to power my mixer and the generator supplies electricity, I have the system switched so when we get power outages I can fire it up and power my house with it.
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

that sounds like a heck of a deal [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION].

id like to see some pics of that.

Alex
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Forgot to mention Propane is great for Diesels gives them a great burn, lots of extra HP and better MPG's a lot like Nitrous for a gas engine but again you have to be careful about EGT's it's best to add a Pyrometer when adding Propane. It's one of the modifications I do to every Diesel I own. (except for my generator).
    A few years back my wife and I owned a Hot Shot delivery buisness and we had a small fleet of Diesel trucks I really got into BioFuels and Propane so I did a lot of research and modification on our fleet, which was the reason for the self contained BioFuel processor, I was making almost all my own fuel at that time to run the fleet, but with Federal restrictions on Commercial trucks running Propane and BioFuels it became more of a hassle to do on a large scale, when we sold the company I kept enough equipment to process for my own needs.
  6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy New Member

Have you heard of the site journeytoforever.org? Good place to start for making biodiesel. lot of info there.
  7. elkhornsun

elkhornsun New Member

I would not run biodiesel in my truck after reading the GM Duramax owners manual and this is for the LML. Earlier engines are not designed to run B-20.

"Biodiesel fuel quality degrades with time and exposure to high temperature much more quickly than conventional diesel fuel. Biodiesel gels sooner than conventional diesel fuel at cold temperature, and biodiesel fuel requires proper blending for winter time operation. Fuels improperly blended for cold temperature operation may result in restricted fuel filters and degraded vehicle performance.

Your vehicle is equipped with a fuel heating system to provide a level of protection against filter plugging from gelling (waxing)
    of conventional diesel fuel and biodiesel blends. However, the system will not prevent all cases of plugged filters if the operating
    temperature is far below the temperature at which gelling or waxing of the fuel occurs (cloud point). Use of biodiesel blends greater than B5 (5% blend) should be avoided in cold temperatures.

Vehicles operated for extended periods of time on conventional diesel fuel and then switched to biodiesel blends may experience premature fuel filter clogging and require more frequent fuel filter service.

With long term use of conventional diesel fuel, gum and varnish may be deposited within the tank and fuel system. These deposits, while not problematic with the use of conventional diesel fuel, may become loosened with a sudden switch to biodiesel blends and cause fuel filter plugging.

This vehicle is equipped with a fuel filter restriction monitoring system that will alert you if the fuel filter requires service, but it will not prevent damage caused by poor quality biodiesel."

With the cost of diesel engine repairs in the thousands of dollars I cannot see the value of biodiesel in the long run as a money saving approach.