alternator bearing

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Nov 8, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

uh-oh,
    just found out my alternator bearing is going bad, any recommendations???? (very squeaky, and high pitch squeal)

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You did make sure by turning it by hand without the belt right? And they really don't sell alternator repair kits anymore so you may have to get a new alternator all together.

3. reggiecab2000

yep, sure did, and i figured that time to upgrade anyway

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are still some re builders there. Search in your local area and see if you can find one. They might replace the bearings for $30. I have one right down the street from me. Be careful buying a new (reman) alt. I had a nightmare last month with mine. I have a "bosch style" on mine, finding one was a PITA. Then after I found one, I went through 6 in one month!! One most of them the bearings went out within a week, two of them did not put out proper voltage. I did not add the 4 that had bad bearings right out of the box and I would not put on my truck. There was also one with a cracked case right out of the box. I ended up spending the $20 more and bought a brand new Bosch

5. reggiecab2000

sounds like you had quite the dilemma, glad you got it all worked out...
    ill definitely be looking for a more high output alternator from DC power engineering like Surrealone has