1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Alternator bearings Bad?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hi. Recently on a road trip I noticed that I was getting this whining noise whenever my foot was on the gas. I thought it was the tac stepper motor going bad. The noise is getting louder daily. I think that my alternator bearings may be bad. I took the belt off and spun everything by hand. The only thing that sounded bad was the alt. Here is a video of it. I am sorry that it is not the best sound quality. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hard to tell. but from here it sounds ok.

Usually, the idler pulley is the bearing to go, followed by the tensioner bearing.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I replaced the alternator today and the whine is gone. They sounded pretty crunchy!

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

trying to find the "thumbs up" smiley, but not there.