1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

alternator identification?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by quicksilver8817, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

2. quicksilver8817

quicksilver8817 New Member

i just figure that if i have to replace it i mind as well upgrade a little lol
  3. quicksilver8817

i ended up going with the 145 amp from autozone .. it fits perfectly and has a lifetime warranty
  4. quicksilver8817

do you guys think i should need to upgrade some of the cables since i upgraded the alternator
  5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Hi folks some more light on the GM alternator situation since it's kinda confusing.

For a long time The General has used both small-frame and large-frame alternators depending on the truck, with diesels and plow trucks getting the large-frame and most of the others getting the small frame. Large frame alternators produce more output at idle, and have slightly higher maximum output.

Here is a chart I have compiled based on various sources.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Year
    [/TD]
    [TD]Large-frame
    [/TD]
    [TD]Small-frame
    [/TD]
    [TD]Notes
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1973-1986
    [/TD]
    [TD]17si, 108 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]10si & 12si, 94 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]External fan, two-pin square control connector
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1986-1995
    [/TD]
    [TD]CS-144
    [/TD]
    [TD]CS-130, 105 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]Four pin square control connector, external fan
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1995-1999
    [/TD]
    [TD]CS-144
    [/TD]
    [TD]CS-130D, 105 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]CS-130D: has oval control connector and internal fan
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2000-2002
    [/TD]
    [TD]AD-244, 145 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]AD-230, 105 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]Oval control connector, internal fan
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2002-2009
    [/TD]
    [TD]DR44g, 145 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]AD-230, 105 amp
    [/TD]
    [TD]Oval control connector, internal fan
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

All of these are internally regulated alternators and are electrically interchangeable. All were made in several different mounting configurations, but all the 1986 and later truck applications, as far as I know, used the dual-spool mount and are interchangeable, though switching from small-frame to large-frame requires a 1.5" change in belt length and it may be necessary to install a different control connector (or use an adapter).

The original CS-130 and CS-144 designations correspond to a case diameter of 130mm and 144mm, respectively.

In mid-2000 GM switched from a four-pin oval connector to a two-pin connector with the timing of the switchover varying from one chassis to the next. The extra pins were an unrectified stator output used as a tachometer drive in some applications, and a field terminal used for diagnosing alternator problems, and were dropped as a cost-reducing move. I don't think either of these was ever used for anything in a truck application.

For 1986 and later trucks, if you have a small-frame alternator and want to replace it with another small-frame alternator, you're best off installing an AD-230 and using an adapter if necessary for the control connection.

Again for 1986 and later, if you need to replace or want to switch to a large-frame alternator, you're best off getting an AD-244 and adapting the wiring as necessary, although a DR44g may be cheaper and will work fine if you don't run large enough loads for diode failures to be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

The output cable is a known weak point and should be upgraded if you have any electrical mods that ask a lot from the alternator (plow, camper, winch, extra lights, inverter). 6 gauge is a good compromise between flexibility and current carrying capacity.
  6. quicksilver8817

so i should uprgrade the alt cable because i run a plow correct?
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Yes u should upgrade. Also upgrade the grounds. Btw KnuKoncepts makes amazing super flex able cables even the 1/0 AWG moves like rope just get the OFC Flek Able it candidates handle 375 amps. The 4 gauge is pretty good too. Check it out.
  8. quicksilver8817

ill look into it thanks
  9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member

ConlanRose, did you ever get the DC conversion? I am looking into this as well. When you say, upgrade grounds, do you mean to just add another ground wire?
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I have been tight on cash and need new tires so I have not yet gotten the new alternator, but I can easily elaborate on the upgrade grounds and alternator wire. Its called the big three upgrade normally what you do is replace you factory battery grounds with larger gauge cable and same with the alternator. This allows the extra current to flow better.

Think about it like this: you have a large water storage tank(the battery), a water pump(alternator) and garden hoses going between the two(wires, cables). If you put a larger pump in but don't increase the size of the hoses the pump will suck them dry or push more water through them then they can handle.