alternator question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by cibach, Jul 31, 2009.

1. cibach

cibach New Member

I have a 2000 1500 Z71 with a 105 amp alternator. I would like to get a 145 amp or 160 amp .. Can I get one from a 03+.. I have the 5.3L..

Thanks in advance

2. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

As long as the pulley, mounts and housing are the same, it should swap right in.

3. cibach

cibach New Member

I would rather not buy one and then find out it doesn't fit...

4. cibach

cibach New Member

anyone have any input??

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Napa probably has a High Output Alternator for your truck. You will want the big charging kit. Put one in my 97, made a big difference.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try Mean Green, they sell one specifically made for your platform. They have a couple different AMP output options.
    Also try looking at local alternator rebuilders, a lot of times they know ways to squeeze a few more amps out of a stock alternator.

7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

napa makes a 200amp its expensive almost $200 at my cost and you need a new wiring kit for it for another $60 bucks but you can get a 130amp my cost $150 not sure what your price would be but call around and find out

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

9. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you could even get one like mine on my police package 99 tahoe that is 240 amp if you like, it should work too. the only thing you'll need to make sure of is that the bolts clear touching anything metal on the back side of the alternator. what do you need a higher output alternator for and how many watts are you trying to push? may be something you can resolve with a good sized stifffening capacitor

10. cibach

cibach New Member

I am installing e-fans