1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 97Prieto, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

I have a 1997 chevy c1500 with a 5.7 L n a 105A alternator n since i got my ac fixed n i hav a sound system in my truck my battery has died on me twice n i know it not the battery that bad or the alternator. So i was wonder would upgrading the alternator to a bigger one will help me solve this problem. If so how hard would ot be to do this change n what would be one that i can put in n not mess anything up?

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Bring your Alternator to be tested same with you battery. Autozone tests them for free.

3. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

Did that already they are both still good. Thats y im confused as to my battery was dead the other day

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Is the alternator charging the battery properly. Also its a good idea in this situation to check all your grounds and power cables. Was the truck dead after sitting over night or just after a few hours.

5. 97Prieto

97Prieto New Member

i am not sure most likely charging poorly and all of my grounds are good and i was driving around with my system bumping and it was at night so i had the head lights on turned off the truck and went into a store for maybe like 45min and when i came back it wouldnt start all i heard was a click