1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Alternator

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Padre, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Padre

Padre Rockstar

Does anyone know where i can get a heavy duty alternator for my 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD? My current alternator is a 160 amp Bosch that came from the factory. Thanks.

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might want to specify what you mean by "heavy duty" but stop on by http://www.alternatorparts.com/ and see if they have what you need.

3. Padre

Padre Rockstar

I want at least a 250 amp. I am running a lot of electronics: Plow, sander, amp, HID's, and I'm about to get an air horn.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Taken from this page:

I don't think you're really going to be able to get more than a 160ish alternator and actually produce the rated current without moving up to a bigger serpenteine belt. FireGuy's explanation on high-amp alternators make sense. You may want to consider moving up to a dual-alternator setup to get more power, but even then you may need a bigger belt to keep from shredding the belts.

5. Padre

Padre Rockstar

Thanks Crawdaddy. I would have to change more than the alternator, I see!:grrrrrr:

6. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

check out iraggi alternators.

7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

+1... They are bad ass!!!