Alternators.... How long and how beefy can you go? [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

Just curious about anybody elses experience with alternators in the suburbans. I just lost #2 today since I bought the truck in '98. I suppose thats not too bad its an easy fix. Just wondering what other folks are using for replacements. Maybe its time for a dual altenator rig ;-)

More power has to be better right?

2. MN_Burbon

I just went ahead and replaced it with the 105 amp OEM replacment ($95 from AutoZone with a life time warranty). The dual job will have to come later I guess.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've never really gone through alternators on any GM vehicle that I've ever owned, except for my wife's old Pontiac Sunfire. That thing went through alts like every 12 months.

4. ChevyFan

...oh and I had a couple of fords (my my youth) that needed alternators frequently too.

5. MN_Burbon

I ended up haveing to replace my replacement, it was charging low so I took it back out to AutoZone and got a different model. Still the 105 but a different part #. Still lifetime warrenty for $95, not a bad deal.

I still am curious about those dual units. With all the fancy stuff that you can add to these trucks nowadays, might be a good idea to have some extra power to distribute. Any stereo buffs out there with the dual alt/dual battery setup?

6. ChevyFan

I've seen it done. Some motorhomes have dual alternators as well as a full generator to get the batteries back up to full charge asap.

Glad to hear that you got your alternator swapped out still with the lifetime.

7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That Sunfire, and your Fords....were those all standard tranny?
    Higher revs usually will kill off an alt pretty quick. I used to hot rod around in my hatchback omni, and I used to go through voltage regualtors like water. Almost every 8-10 months or so.

8. ChevyFan

Well, I had a 5.0 mustang that was built a little bit with a standard transmission. The Sunfire was an automatic 3-speed. She drives a Caviliar now that is a 4-speed auto which is much nicer, keeps the RPMs down quite a bit.

9. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was just looking through the catalog for CKresto and they have an option for 180 and 200 Amp alt's.
    Overkill??? I'm sure it could be used up quite nicely with the right audio accessories. :wink:

10. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

Dual alternators have an advantage at lower rpm's/idle/stopped in gear with higher output than a single alternator in the same conditions. This is handy when running high output audio and DVD entertainment systems as well as any additional exterior lighting.
    Ron :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.