Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Alum. wheel coating?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by pmd73, Jun 5, 2012.

1. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

I've got the stock alum. wheels,wish i had a picture handy,there's like corrossion getting on them and closer inspection ,it looks like a coating,like plastic.Anyone have a problem like this and what to do with it.

2. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Member 100 Posts

The stock 'polished' wheels are clear coated, so what you might be seeing is clear coat failure.

Have you used any harsh or acidic wheel cleaners?

3. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

It looks like the coating is pealing and the wheels tarnishing.What would be the fix.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How old is the truck? It might be covered under warranty, check that first.
    Theres a product called Zoops Polish that's made to protect aluminium, it works real good but I think you'd work yourself to death getting the old clear coat off. I used Zoops on my boat trailer wheels when I lived in Virginia Beach Va. as a last ditch effort to stop them from corroding and was real suprised when it worked as advertised, I had to reapply about every two years but to me that wasnt bad since I was dipping the wheels in the ocean ever other week.

5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

6. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

Polishing is not the problem.I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and what to do.It's the plastic like coating that's pealing up and short of having the rims bead blasted ,i don't know what to do.It's on all four rims.And what kind of problems will bead blasting do.

7. Dylan@Adams

Unfortunately, if the clear coat is peeling theres no 'fix' for it short of stripping the wheels and having them re-shot with clear coat.

You could strip them yourself and polish out the raw aluminum, but thats a TON of work, and once they're done raw aluminum is a lot of work to maintain. Heres a writeup done on another forum where a member with GM 'polished' wheels stripped the clear to get raw metal. They do look spectaular when they're done, but its a crap load of work to maintain.

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76874

You'd probably be best served to simply strip the wheels and have them reshot at a bodyshop.

8. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

After reading that i'd be as well off to buy new rims,gee wiz.

9. Dylan@Adams

I'd have to agree... its a lot of work to take a CC'd oem aluminum wheel to raw polished, you'd have to really love the wheels to put in the effort.

10. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

high pressure power wash the crap out of em to get off all the flakes
    then wash and try the wheels
    then use clear high gloss rattle-can laquer.... theyll look great!
    mine do =)
    ill post a pic later