1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

aluminum / custom wheels questions

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by LDB, Oct 15, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. LDB

LDB New Member

Anyone know where to get the weight of various wheels? I'd like to get some wheels for my van and want to drop as much weight as I can in the process but not sure where to get that information. Thanks.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This might sound kind of stupid, but I always look under the shipping information for that particular wheel. I ordered a set of Colorado Custom wheels a few years back, and when I checked out the shipping info it gave me the exact weight per wheel. Other than that it would be the material they are made out of, aluminum is lighter than steel and carbon fiber is by far the lightest wheel on the market but not suitable for a HD van.
  3. LDB

LDB New Member

I thought about shipping weight but that is all inclusive I believe and packaging might be different creating some discrepancies. Also, I tried Tire Rack and they only show one wheel in 8 lug 16". Any suggestions where to find a better selection?
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Oooh 8 lug is a bit** to find wheels for, I know because I have been there before. Weld Racing has a few rims in 8 lug pattern but they are about $600-$700 each, and Mickey Thompson has several aluminum wheels in 8 lug but that's about all I ever found besides Alcoa wheels and they are Waaaay expensive.
  5. LDB

LDB New Member

6. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Those wheels are $100/ea. You can count on them being made in China. Most are until you get into custom wheels. That would be in the $3K and up neighborhood.

I've used cheap knockoffs before on other vehicles. Their quality is getting better.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Helo makes alot of 8 lug wheels and there are great prices for these on eby
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try this site, they have lots of good info and one of the best resources for wheels available.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/WheelFinder.aspx?bp=8 on 6.5&cio=False&df=18.00&dt=18.00&finish=Polished&cons=Aluminum&ab=True&pg=1

They do have great customer service but many have had issues ordering parts from them due to thier hidden shipping cost's.
    I usually use their site as a reference resource to find manufacturers that make the parts I want.
  9. mainec

mainec Rockstar

I would order them somewhere else though. They are really overpriced. You can find better deals, but like he said good location for information. Look on Ebay!!

Charles :sign0011:

[​IMG]
  10. blackburb

blackburb Rockstar 100 Posts

There are a ton of 8 lug on eBay. And fwiw, my new American Racing rims were made in Mexico not China. Don't know if one is better than the other, but it is closer.