Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Aluminum Diff. covers

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 8, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I want one for my truck.
    preferably "finned" to help with cooling, but so long as it increases the oil capasity, i dont really care.

Summit has some... but theyre almost $200 and it says nothing about extra capasity for cooling aid, and they dont have fins.
    where did any of you get yours at? I just got a dinky 10 bolt right now, so it works really hard under this big truck. it actually burns out oil if you can believe that. so i want to take care of it, and my posi unit.

thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

this is the cheapest i could find. dont know how much it holds though....
    http://www.performance4trucks.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/GM-8-5-8-6in-Rear-Polished-Aluminum-Diff-Cover.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4041&t_pl=1798&t_pn=G%2fG6082P

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When I had my regear done I asked about this. Know what the guys at the shop (which basically specializes in gear/diff work) told me? 'We'd be happy to sell you something, but save your money.' I appreciated the honesty, so I asked why -- and they said that for my application, which is daily driver, light weekend-to-weekend off-roading, occasional towing but nothing insanely long or heavy ... I would be buying something for looks, alone, as it'd make no relevant (to my use/application) improvement.

This begs the following question -- what's your application that requires more capacity/cooling? Heavy loads or towing across long distances? Lots of mud time? Up and down mountains all day? Inquiring minds want to know what has you burning out oil in your 10-bolt! (And, perhaps, that's a sign that you might need more truck, not more diff fluid and cooling???)

3. K15 Blazer Guy

nevermind!
    ebay
    saved about $100
    lol

its just a 5,000 lb old truck.... i drive it everywhere both on and off road.
    it should have a 12 bolt cause the little 8.5 rear gears just spin like crazy with the oversized tires and heavy weight... transmission also evaporates oil.
    its just a gear/ torque machine! lol

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Are you running factory 3.42/3.72 gears because that would explain why you're having problems. You need a higher ratio.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You might want to look into a tranny cooler!

6. K15 Blazer Guy

i think i have 3:55 gears.... i thought they were 3.73 but i guess ill count it when i change the cover.

I have a manual transmission, so no oil cooler possible X) lol

7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Thats not true they make manual tranny coolers. I suggest getting one. They come as kits with a pump and cooler + hoses.

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

my 1995 had the same axle and a stock 3:42 ratio when I put the 38.5" tires on it. I ran it like that for a year while I saved money for the gear change (I know...I was young and did it backwards) I never had an issue with gear oil "evaporating" from the rear end. I drove it on 5 hour road trips all the time and did some heavy offroading.

9. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah ive decided to not regear or go big on the tires for this truck, thanks to comrad obama's gas prices.

....but all i know is i top it off so it overflows, and about 10,000 miles later its a knucle low in both the diff and the trans *shrugs*
    the truck is heavy and old, id be surprized if it didnt take oil... guess that makes it a hybred
    it burns both oil and gas =) lol

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have never heard of an axle burning oil. There's nothing in the axle that could burn it. Cook the oil to the point it no longer has lubricating properties, yes, but not burn. I'd say your oil is leaking somewhere. It's probably leaking into your drums if it's not obviously coming out of the pinion or cover.