1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

AM/FM Radio swap to AM/FM/CD/XM unit in 2012 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by HawkIVette, Sep 6, 2012.

1. HawkIVette

HawkIVette New Member

Just bought a new 2500 HD WT and came with AM/FM radio only. Can I just find a stock AM/FM/CD/XM unit (provided I add a XM antenna) and swap it out with no problems?

Anybody have a contact number to call for GM that can give me that answer. The dealership is taking the easy way out and saying no. I just can't take them at their word because the units look the same and should be an easy swap.

2. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

To be honest I really don’t know, but I would think at the most you would need is the antenna for XM. I saw the radios on eBay for $75. The other thing is you might need a different harness, one for the radio you get. Then you just find out which wires go to the XM. I think it would just take time. Don’t quote me, just my opinion.
    There are many ways you can go about this: that way or just buy the radio with CD and XM from store. That is the way I would go just because if you have the portable XM unit then you can buy the boom box and have XM everywhere for the same price.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I know that the older GM's had the XM tuner behind the glove box so you would need that too.. I would just do Aftermarket which will give you a little better RMS power for better sound from your stock speakers..

4. HawkIVette

HawkIVette New Member

Thanks guys. For me,it's more about the stock look. I trade off trucks about every 3 years, so I am thinking of resale. I don't want anything that looks like someone took a sawsall to the dash and cobbled it up.

I did get alittle farther today with he parts department. They looked up the VIN and found out that the build sheet had "XM delete" so the XM reciever is not in the truck.

They are going to look at ordering a new stock AM/FM/CD radio that is XM compatable. Then they will add a XM unit under the seat so it will play through the truck new radio.
    That should solve the problem for me- stock look but still have XM at my finger tips.