1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Am I getting Screwed here?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by markman34, May 11, 2009.

1. markman34

markman34 Member

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up and am looking forward to sharing much knowledge regarding my new (to me) silverado.
    Calgary Alberta Canada.
    So, here is my first situation.
    07 NBS Silverado. 84,000 km, Vortec Max, crew cab, LTZ with sunroof. The truck has an extended warranty for 100,000 km. Apparently the "best" extended warranty from GM.
    I just dropped my truck off with the dealer for it's first (to me) service. Scheduled an oil change and investigate a water leak in the truck. Dealer tells me that the water leak will likely not be covered by the warranty. Nor will any damage that was caused by the leak. Apparently, the extended warranty does not cover any seals or anything inside the cab of the truck. I was completely FLOORED when she told me this.
    Now, I may be looking at some very pricey repairs to get things proper. Headliner, carpet, what ever seal is failing, and even the loaner truck that was supposed to be included in the warranty as well.
    Has anyone come across this issue before?
    Does anyone have advice on how I may proceed?

I absolutely love this truck but am not ready to replace everything at my expense in order to make it right

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mark
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 100K warranty is for the drivetrain I believe, not bumper to bumper.
  3. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!!!

Most Extended warraties are "farmed out" to outside companies. There should be a pamplet from the extended warranty company with the truck manual. Most dealers put it in the little binder that the manual comes in. There should be customer care phone numbers on the pamphlet. Contact the warranty company and find out what is covered by your plan.
  4. markman34

markman34 Member

Thanks for the reply!

the warranty is through GM protection. They are sending me information on what is and is not covered.
    The infuriating thing is that the 100,000km bumper to bumper warranty was a condition of the purchase of the truck. I arranged for the extended warranty to be transferred into my name and was told that it covered "everything but normal maintenance"
    I'm dreading the call from the dealer to tell me that my $50 oil change service is going to cost many hundreds of dollars.
    I can't believe I'm saying this but maybe I should have bought a ford. YIKES
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. markman34

markman34 Member

moderator,

Should this thread be moved to another area to get better results?
  6. markman34

markman34 Member

Just received word from the dealer.

Apparently, there is nothing wrong with my sunroof. $120 Diagnosis charge.

I guess the carpet and seatbelts are supposed to be soaked with rainwater.

Apparently my washer fluid pump works as it is supposed to. $62 Diagnosis charge!

Apparently there is a TSB for squeeky window hardware. $62 Diagnosis charge! or we'll fix it for $120 but will not warranty the work.

Because nothing was warranty, I have to pay for the loaner. $65 Rental charge
    So, went in for a 50$ oil change and am now looking at almost $400 and all I got was an oil change and a headache.

I have just been raped.
    I just called the service manager and told him exactly that. And you know, he agreed.
    We'll see what happens.
    I think I'll list the truck and see if I can get out of it without loosing too much money. Maybe make a buck.
  7. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

well, sorry to hear that, at least they are giving you a reach around option
  8. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Im kind of going through some similar stuff with my truck. I bought my truck used on October 17th 2008 from a GM dealer. It had 59,000 miles on it. And it was supposed to be a "certified" vehicle with all the factory warrantys. . The transmission started messing up around 66,000 miles. Not shifting and other things like that. I called the dealer and asked them about it. And they said it wasnt certified and theres no warrantys on it. So I was going through some paperwork the other day and I found about 3 or 4 papers saying that it was a Certified Vehicle. Oh and I found a few letters they sent me asking how im enjpying my GM certified used vehicle. I've emailed them a few times and have got no response or any type of contact. So Im going to take all the paper work to my local gm dealer and see what they say.
  9. markman34

markman34 Member

well, I made it out of the shop today for under $200. At least the service manager helped me out a bit.
    That's an expensive oil change!
    According to the dealer, there is nothing wrong with my sunroof. It passed the "GM Leak Test" for these models. There is leakage in the normally functioning sunroof but I'm sure that these trucks were not designed to have wet carpet and seat belts.
    I think I'm still in shock. Very disappointed with their idea of customer service.
    Planning my next move.......
  10. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

wow, that sucks. is any of this something you can fix to cut down on costs?