Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

am i wasting my money with this

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Cuda1500, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Cuda1500

Cuda1500 Member

im thinking about putting new torsion keys in on my 97 gmc k1500 4x4 i already have the 3 in body lift, i need just about 2 in or so to clear my thirty three s on 15x10 rims, but i ive heard alot bad things about new keys and cranking up the bars, what would be the best way to go, also how do the keys actually work do you leave the adjusting bolts in the same location once the new keys are installed or do you have to crank them up more, and info would be nice and if anyone has pictures of this setup on my year of truck would be great.

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

No your not wasting your money. New torsion keys are great.Cranking your stock torsion bars or installing new keys dont have any negative affects on the truck besides putting a little bit more stress on your front end components. You can only get a certain amount of height out of your stock torsion keys, so thats where aftermarket keys come into play. Aftermarket keys are shaped at a different angle than the stock keys allowing you to turn the adjuster bolts more and get more heigth. I would get them if I were you.

3. Cuda1500

Cuda1500 Member

once you put the new keys in how do you know how much to turn the adjuster bolt to get the correct amount of height

4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Take a measurement of distance between your tire and fender well or from your front bumper to the ground, whatever would work for you. Then install your keys and start turning your bolts untill you get to your desired height. So if you buy 2 inch keys, then crank your adjuster bolts untill your front end is 2 inches higher than stock. Thats why you take a measurement of height in the front before you instal new keys.