1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Amazon Prime Air Drones Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I read the article when it was posted on line. Thought it was neat. The 5lb limit would make car parts limited but having them a couple hours after you placed the order would be great.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

HHmmm I say PULL!!! Bang!!! There goes another one....:glasses: Not sure how well it would work in the busy areas.. like NYC...Just read in todays paper about 1200 small planes landing here for the Superbowl .....
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think it will be great for remote areas or places that it takes sometimes up to a hour to drive to a decent store to get something simple like a socket. Where our house in Vermont is a service like that would be great.
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's a neat idea for sure but I am thinking the cons outweigh the pros on this one:

Pros:
    very quick delivery

Cons:
    only works on a few small/light-weight items
    probably going to cost an arm and a leg (at least in the beginning)
    how reliable will it be? drones getting lost, delivering to the wrong address, putting your item in the middle of the street, etc
    again, in the beginning, it will only be available to a few markets - Amazon will need to build more warehouses across the country to reach more people
    Will people screw around and shoot down the drones for fun? probably not but who really knows?
    Is the FAA OK with this? lol
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think another pro would be additional employment because people need to maintain and operate those drone as well as additional warehouses = more employees to run them.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I saw an article about this. They said that the FAA has some major laws against this. If it is in line of sight of the operator then it is considered a model air craft and no license is needed. once it leaves line of sight a special license is required. (not like amazon could not get them) But, they are also having issues with the proximity sensors (so they don't crash into trees and other objects). The sensors are not sensitive enough and do not react quickly. So, by the time the drone knows something is there it is too late. They also said that since GPS is not always reliable they are having issues during testing with the drones ending up 2 or 3 houses away from the intended target. Also, there is major concern with people shooting them down.