1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ambient Light Sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by BowTieFan1, Mar 21, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BowTieFan1

BowTieFan1 New Member

On my 2004 Silverado 1500, sometimes on bright sunny days the instrument panel/dash lights will not turn off. Is the ambient light sensor that is on top of the dash close to the windshield going bad?
    The instrument panel/dash lights will always come on when it is dark or real cloudy, but on a few occasions they did not turn off on sunny days.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've seen this, too. I don't know why it happens. (I wonder if it's some weirdness associated with 04's?!)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My 09 will do it to but none of our company trucks or my dads Tahoe and 2500 have never done it when I drive them so idk what it could be. I'm interested to see what people have to say
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

yes the dash mounted sensor needs replacing . as time passes the device will stop seeing any light so the headlight always come on . dealership has this part. use vin for correct one they are different.
  5. BowTieFan1

BowTieFan1 New Member

Thanks, I will get one soon. Yesterday was a sunny day and the lights did turn off that time. I also need to buy a new HVAC temperature control. The lights on that are blown out too.
  6. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have not done the hvac lights but, I have been told that radio shack has these lamps. bring one into store for a match very cheap fix.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was pretty sure yesterday, but wanted to wait until I had a chance to check.

My '09 has the dash lights on during the day, sunny day, or dark day. The dash lights dimming switch will not change the level. I believe it is normal for the dash lights to be on during the day..... at least on the '07 and up trucks, may be the same on the '04 trucks.