1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ambient Temp Sensor

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Elefntkpr, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Elefntkpr

Elefntkpr New Member

I noticed the outside temperature reading on my truck sems to be stuck on 56 deg. I dug around a few GM forums for trucks and didn't turn anything up. I did come across a (LINK) from a Vette site that described my problem exactly. Not sure if this is true for all GM vehicles, I haven't had a chance meet the listed requirements for a temperature adjustment but plan on checking it out tomorrow.

Anyone else experienced this with their ambient temp readout? I took my sensor out today and checked for connection. When disconnected the dash read "----" but with it plugged back up it read "56". The sensor is functioning on some level perhaps just inaccurately.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. Elefntkpr

Elefntkpr New Member

I know this isn't a huge deal but I did confirm that the temp sensor is just plain lazy. It updates the temp when it wants to...or rather when the requiements are met from the previous link. Case closed.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone post about the temp sensor and system.
    Is it this reliable of a system or have people had problems and not worried about it?
  4. Elefntkpr

Elefntkpr New Member

It was a case of me being used to something different. On my last car the temperature updated frequently at all times. This one requires certain conditions to be met then it only updates occassionally. My situation was that in the morning when I drove some distance it registered 56 deg. Then I parked it for several hours. The temp had reached the lower 70s by this time but the temp on the dash remained at 56. The only way I could have got it to change was to drive the truck for a few minutes. I drove it quite a bit today and during the time I was driving it updated periodically.
  5. csattley14

csattley14 Rockstar

I haven't really noticed on my truck, but I believe that mine changes pretty frequently. I will have to pay more attention when I drive it next.